Sunday 22 June 2014

16/06/14 - Glebe - Pool 1

Weight - 121lb 8oz
Catch - 33 Carp, 1 Tench, 1 Crucian
Weather - Windy, cool & cloudy
Match - MFS - 13th out of 20

Apologies for the latest of the blog, however loads going on, mostly work related, including an overnight stay in London, means is the first chance to catch up with my blog.

 

Today’s match was organised by MFS, with 20 anglers on what I think is the best lake on the complex. Driving up to the Glebe, Mark & I expected a day shallow fishing, because the recent weather has been very pleasant and the carp seemed to have got the spawning mostly done. On arrival however, it was cloudy & cool with a NE wind blowing, but there was a few fishing showing themselves.

Peg 1 was my home for the day and it can be a very good peg, although the fish can be on the smaller side. Putting my box down and there was a few fish moving around, so I was quite optimistic of a good day. As I said the expectation was for a day’s shallow fishing and with the wind blowing into me, pellet rather than caster would need to be used.

As well as a couple of shallow rigs, 2 margin rigs were also set up, 1 to fish by the reeds and another to fish the shallower water tight to the bank. And finally a paste rig at 5m.

With 2hrs to set up I was ready with 30mins so went for a walk. By the time I got back to my peg the fish had disappeared in the increasingly strong cool wind and I was glad I had brought my fleece.

Starting shallow on 8mm pellet, I soon had 3 carp after 20mins, but then nothing. Typical, I’ve been looking forward to this match for a little while, we have had a week of warm weather and now it was cloudy, windy & cold.

Toss potting pellet and corn by the reeds, I soon started catching carp either on 6mm expander or corn, before the action slowed down. The rest of the match was case of chopping & changing to keep to the fish coming. Throughout I managed a few carp shallow, either on pellet or caster, but the cool wind was an issue, because they didn’t seem to want to come shallow, although having the wind blowing at me didn’t help blowing the rig under the pole.

The 5m line was regularly feed with 6mm pellet, which produced 4 carp on paste, but again it was slow going.

After the rest the swim by the reeds produced a few more carp, before it died. Towards the end of the match it was time to try the margins, which had starting feeding after 3hrs with caster/corn. This line only produced 5 carp, so overall a little frustrated, because the fish were a smaller stamp and I couldn’t catch enough of them.

Saying that I think I made 2 mistakes. The first was the 5m line, where I should have brought hemp and more corn, since this doesn’t work very at the Glebe. The second mistake was the margin line. I should have set it up closer to me to make it easier to feed, also you really need groundbait at the Glebe. I’m back again in 4 weeks so hopefully a few lessons learnt, but really hope it will be a shallow days fishing.

The best weights came from the other end of the lake, with Pete Bailey nearly breaking the venue record. As for me I needed another 20lb to claim 2nd in section and a pick up, so disappointing.

1st 372- 8 – Pete Bailey – p24
2nd 187- 8 – Mark Poppleton – p21
3rd 181- 2 – Ian Simpson – p27
4th 175- 8 – John O’Driscoll – p30
5th 169- 4 – Robbo – p17
6th 168- 0 – Stevie B – p23

No comments: