Monday 9 June 2014

07/06/14 - Viaduct - Campbell

Weight - 52lb 8oz (15lb 2oz - silvers)
Catch - 32 Bream, 8 Carp
Weather - Rainy start, becoming warm & sunny
Match - Open - 11th out of 16, 3rd silvers

Following the MFS 2 dayer a few weeks ago Calum decided to book another match at Viaduct and fortunately got Campbell. However the recent cool rainy weather meant the carp haven’t spawned properly and we really need a good week of warm weather so they can finish off. This meant the fishing was likely to be tough and the weights in recent weeks have borne this out.
 
Speaking to a couple of regulars the far bank of Campbell has been fishing poorly and P131 was one of the few pegs I didn’t want to draw. For company, Ben Hagg was on p132 and Mike Walker to my left on p129 so at least I had some room. Since no one had a good word to say about my peg I decided to just catch what I could, hoping for the best.
 
A long line shallow rig, short meat rig and margin rigs were all set up, but each only got 10mins of unproductive action, so those won’t be mentioned again.
 
On the all in I toss potted 4s & 6s at 14m, with worm on the hook (Ackoo Carrat 0.2g > .16 > 16 B911) and by the end the first hour had a couple of small skimmers and a carp. Of those I could see most were struggling except for Terry Green on p110, however with the wind blowing up the lake I expected the winner to come from that end.
 
I decided to stick with the 14m line continue toss potting bait, but switched to a lighter rig (Ackoo Carbon Carrat 0.3g > .12 > 18 B911) fishing 6mm pellet and soon started catching skimmers regularly. Most were only 6oz or so, but at least I was catching. Then I had a run of better sized skimmers, before the carp moved in and buggered it up. They were proving to be a real pain, losing several foul hookers, although I think some were hooked properly, but around the mouth. After losing a number carp the better sized skimmers didn’t return over the 14m line.
 
In the last 90mins the carp finally settled down a little and I managed to hook a few properly, as well as a couple more skimmers. I had also been feeding 4s at 5m, which also produced a few bonus skimmers as a well as a few more carp.
 
I had hoped to pick up in the silvers, but too many small fish and not enough of the proper skimmers meant my 15lb was only good enough for 3rd. Dan White won my bank with 99lb, including the best overall silvers from p123 and Ben moaned his way to 2nd with 63lb. However the opposite bank fished a lot better, producing all the framing weights.
 
Despite the difficult fishing, I was quite pleased with the end result and honestly not such I could have done much better.
 
1st 203- 1 – Roy Worth – p119
2nd 136-10 – Fred Roberts – p111
3rd 133-11 – Terry Green – p110
4th 119-11 – James Guy – p116
5th 99- 4 – Dan White – p123
6th 70-14 – Calum Craig – p114
 
Silvers
1st 27- 6 – Dan White – p123
2nd 21- 4 – Calcum Craig – p114
3rd 15- 2 – Ken Rayner – p131

No comments: