Sunday 3 March 2013

02/03/13 - Lands End - Match

Weight - 29lb 9oz (19lb 3oz - silvers)
Catch - 11 Skimmers, 3 Perch, 2 F1s, 1 Tench, 2 Carp
Weather - Cold & cloudy, sunny later
Match - Open - 2nd out of 12 (1st silvers)

At last I seem to be finding some form, although it always helps when you draw on a few fish.

We are now in the second week of an easterly weather system, but at least today wasn't going to be as bitter as last week and winds were very light. With 12 booked in today, we were all on match lake, although Tom Mangnall really wanted to be on speci and come the end of the match I think he wished he was having struggled from peg 7, which seems to be an all or nothing peg peg at the moment. Fabio had also turned up following the removal of the cast from his broken arm. He managed to fish nearly 5hrs, but I'm not sure whether it was the lack of fish or an aching arm which saw him leave early.

Back to my day and I found myself on a peg I've hardly drawn, yet I was on 19 for the 2nd time in 3 months. Well it made a change from repeatedly drawing 11 or 15!

With a cold and clear lake I fancied 19 for a few fish, which normally frames, so just needed to make sure I didn't cock it up. For company I was sandwiched between the two Mikes, "lady gaga" West on 21 and new granddad Duckett on 17.

Only 3 rigs for today. HB Frostie 0.3g, .10 > 18 silverfish pellet, HB Shindig 0.2g, .12 > 18 B911 and Muncheez 0.1g, .12 > 18 silverfish pellet to fish top of the shelf.

On the all in a pinch of micros was deposited at the bottom of the far shelf towards the point of the island and 14.5m to my right. I started on the shindig rig with corn, which produced a carp and then a tench after 45mins.

A switch to the frostie rig, with 4mm expander, rotating between the 2 bottom of the shelf swims. It was a case of feeding a pinch of pellet in one swim and fishing the other. I managed to keep the 2 swims going for 2 hours catching mostly skimmers and a couple of F1s.

By the 1/2 way stage I seemed to be leading the way on silvers, but I wasn't sure about the frame, since there had been a few (but not many) carp being caught.

I felt I needed to rest the 2 far swims and had already started pinging 4mm pellet to my left and feeding caster to my left by the tree and to my right in the margin. The right hand margin produced a perch, although I did pull out of a good 'un and the left hand tree swim produced 2 perch. I also tried the far side tight to the island, because I could see a few carp swimming around just under the surface, but nothing.

As for those carp that were cruising, whilst fishing the left hand swim over the loose feed pellet, I noticed a pair  of carp rounding the corner, so chanced my arm and swung the rig in front of them and got lucky as one of them took the bait.

The remaining 2 hours was just a case of rotating between the 3 long swims, putting a couple more skimmers into the net.

Come the end I was fairly sure I had won the silvers, but wasn't so sure about framing, so it was a welcome surprise when I did.

1st 47- 1 - Allan Oram - p1
2nd 29- 9 - Ken Rayner - p19
3rd 25- 0 - Jim Jenner - p22
4th 24- 4 - Dave Wescott - p11
5th 22-10 - Mike Duckett - p17
6th 22- 6 - Mark Leeder - p13

Silvers
1st 19- 3 - Ken Rayner - p19
2nd 15- 2 - Mark Leeder - p13
3rd 12- 6 - Jamie Parkhouse - p24

No comments: