Monday 18 March 2013

17/03/13 - Lands End - Speci

Weight - 29lb 8oz (8lb 10oz - silvers)
Catch - 2 Carp, 7 Roach, 3 Bream, 2 Rudd
Weather - Cool, but at least it was mostly sunny
Match - Winter League rd 6 - 15th out of 33 (7th out of 11 - section)

The 6th and final round of the winter league, which generally hasn't gone that well for me, with some poor draws. So today I was hoping for a decent days fishing.

Today was also my birthday and I brought cake courtesy of my mum for everyone, although there were very few takers at the draw having already taken their fill of breakfast. It soon went after the match.

Unbelievably Tony drew 32 which was the ideal draw if you wish to win the league, however the league leader Mark drew 37, which has been one of the worst pegs on the lake this year. He was not happy. As for me peg 26 was going to be my home, which isn't a peg I particular like because its 17m to the island and the depth varies so much left to right.

For company Mark Brennan was to my right on p28, whilst Bela was opposite on 40 and Bob Gullick on 39. Aaron Britnell was a no show which meant 25 wasn't drawn. Both Bela & I thought it would provide too much room for the fish to back off into and that's how it turned out with Bela spending most of the match trying to coax carp  from the other side of the cage.

I started the match fishing down the track feeding 2 swims with micros and 4mm expander on the hook. However after an hour and only 1 roach to show for my efforts it looked like I had drawn the wrong end of the lake again, because all the fish were being caught down the other end.

I only managed 1 skimmer over the micros, they just didn't want to be here, although Bob on the other side was managing to put a few together. My 5m caster line produced a couple of roach up to a pound, plus a decent skimmer, but I couldn't put a run of fish together.

I did manage 2 carp on double caster within the space of 30mins from the pallet on 25, but again I couldn't get any more. I had been firing 4s to the island, hoping to pull in some carp, I had 1 skimmer on hard 6s and lost another, but it soon died again.

Frustrating day, but I simply drew the wrong end of the lake, although I was surprised I couldn't catch more silvers. Mark Poppleton was probably the most relived man on the day finishing 2nd from last in the section, but fortunately the other results meant he still managed 3rd overall courtesy of better weight advantage over Craig Edmunds (I'm not saying anything)

1st 90- 4 - Kev Molton - p19
2nd 84- 6 - Nick Duckett - p7 (weigh sheet shows 83-6, but someone cant add up)
3rd 83- 7 - Tony Rixon - p32
4th 83- 3 - Craig Edmunds - p22
5th 82-14 - Steve Seagar - p41
6th 73- 0 - Tom Thick - p34

Silvers
1st 24-12 - Bob Gullick - p39
2nd 20-13 - Mike Nicholls - p17
3rd 17-12 - Phil Harding - p13
4th 14- 9 - Allan Oram - p11

Full League tables will follow soon, but well done to the winners

No comments: