Wednesday 6 March 2013

03/03/13 - Viaduct - Lodge

Weight - 10lb 10oz
Catch - 44 Roach, 8 Skimmers, 2 Rudd
Weather - Cold, easterly breeze
Match - Winter League - 8th out of 19 section

Glyn Reynolds asked me to guest for his team again, this time on Lodge. I think we were all disappointed to see an icy crust on the water, but not for me! I found myself on p59, which according to everyone had some skimmer form and the peg was ice free.

So 2 balls of groundbait with a pinch of dead maggot and caster was cupped in at 14m, plus some caster under the tree to my left. As we were about to start a number of fish started to roll in front of Roland Lucas on p60, so he started on the waggler straight away and after 90mins probably had 7-8 skimmers.

I also started on the waggler by the aerator, but no bites. In fact I didn’t have my first fish until the hour mark and was seriously concerned that I had over done the groundbait. However the next hour proved productive with skimmers and small roach coming regualrily.

The rest of the match turned out to be a bit of struggle. I couldn’t fish too far to my right without interfering with p60 and couldn’t fish to my left due to the rope. I caught a few more roach on the waggler, but the pole line was becoming frustrating and I can only think I got my feeding wrong. When I topped up I only caught one more skimmer, but the swim was at times alive with small roach, which was annoying when I needed skimmers, because Tim Rowe on p57, Steve Seagar on p56 and Tom Thick on p61 all caught more skimmers and few roach. 

I’m pretty sure my swim as worth a few more skimmers, but I’ll never know. To be honest I also think I am a little of touch fishing natural baits over groundbait, being more used to pellet fishing at the moment.

No comments: