Monday 18 February 2013

17/02/2013 - Viaduct - Spring

Weight - 18lb 14oz
Catch - 1 Carp, 34 Roach, 6 Skimmers
Weather - Cold start. Sunny, breeze picked up later
Match - Viaduct Winter League - 39th out of 95, 7th out of 19 section

I was asked to guest for Glyn Reynolds team for this round of Viaduct Winter League. Because my car is currently in the garage awaiting a repair on the cam shaft, Tim Clark kindly volunteered (or he was volunteered by Tony!) to pick me up. On the way we collected Fabio, who still cant go fishing for another 2 weeks due to the cast on his broken arm, planed on walking around the match to get some fresh air.

After paying my pools to Glyn I disappeared to get my kit out of the van. When I returned Fred Roberts congratulated me on drawing a peg he wanted to avoid, until he realised I didn’t know where I had drawn. So when I found Glyn he just said sorry, you are on p21, in the top right hand corner of Spring. Oh joy. At least I had loads of room, although it was pointed out the reason why there was so much room was because the peg was crap.

With plenty of time to set up I sat at the peg considering my options, waiting to see if anyone turned up on p23 (I forgot to ask whether the peg was in) and no one did. Asking around suggested I could get carp down the margin late on and there wasn’t many silvers, which meant I was likely to have a boring day.

On the all in 3 balls of groundbait with dead maggot & caster was cupped in at 14m, a pot of dead maggot & caster by the pallet on p22 and a small pot of caster at 14m to my left. The first 30mins I spent on the waggler and maggot cast towards the island (p24) and to my left, but no bites. Since I wanted to give my groundbait line plenty of time to settle, I cast the straight lead & double corn towards the inlet gap with the intention of waiting 30mins to see what happens.

After 20mins the tip flew round and 10mins later a big mirror was netted. At least that would secure good points and I could relax for the rest of the match. I topped up my groundbait & gave the lead another 30mins, however without success.

A switch to the pole produced 15 roach/small skimmers reasonably quickly. The rest of the match was a case of spending time looking for a carp on the lead, before switching back to the pole for more small fish. I had kept the margin topped up with dead maggot/caster and when I tried the swim with dead maggot on the hook, I only had 1 roach.

At least the pole was providing some bites and a 2lb skimmer was a welcome surprise. Come the end I knew I had done OK and in fact I quite enjoyed the day. I just missed out on picking up coin, because Alex Murray on p24 managed 25lb of skimmers, but those carp didn’t feed in any numbers on Spring except for Martin Preston on p4, but that side of the lake was in with Match Lake.

1st 191- 1 - Des Shipp - p86
2nd 175-10 - Dave Romain - p53
3rd 152-12 - Mark Poppleton - p116
4th 146- 2 - Richard Wyatt - p73
5th 136-14 - Martin Preston - p4
6th 128-13 - Mash - p78

Silvers
1st 32- 4 - Tony Rixon - p38
2nd 25- 7 - Alex Murray - p24
3rd 15- 7 - Matt Parsons - p56
4th 14- 7 - Gary Cross - p16
5th 13- 7 - Dick Bull - p39

No comments: