Monday 18 February 2013

16/02/13 - Lands End - Match

Weight - 17lb 14oz
Catch - 3 Carp, 2 Perch, 1 F1, 1 Bream, 1 Roach
Weather - Cold, misty start, Sunny & no wind.
Match - Open - 12th out of 14

14 turned up for today’s match, which is one of the best Saturday turn outs for a while. We were all on Match Lake, which meant there was going to be a few pegs you didn’t want. I found myself on peg 7, which can be a match winner, but not when pegs 8, 10 & 12 are in. For company I had Mark Walsh on 8 and Allan Oram on 5.

Mark had 3 carp within 30 mins fishing across to a small bush and then picked up the odd carp throughout the match. Allan in the meantime rotated his swims to catch mostly skimmers on soft pellet.

As for me, it was a real struggle and I got battered each side. Initially started down the track and bumped a carp after 10mins, then I lost a skimmer when the hook dropped out as I was shipping back, but it took me 1hr 50mins to catch my first fish, a roach on maggot over my pellet line.

My short caster line failed to produce as did my island swim and the fish didn’t seemed to be settled over my pellet line. In the end to make something happen I started catapulting pellet to the point of the island and slightly to my right (to hopefully pull a few of the carp away from Marks peg). At one point I thought it would work, when I had a carp and missed a bite on pellet, but they soon disappeared again. I also started feeding meat at 5m, which can produce a few big carp late, but they never did, although I did manage to sneak one carp from under the pallet of p6.

A head scratcher of day, after such a slow start I was on the back foot for most of the match and I although I tried to make something happened, it ultimately failed.

On a separate issue Mike netted no4 lake today and reckons he has transfer 2000lb of fish into Johns (no3) Lake. Mostly pastie carp, loads of small silvers and 6 enormous 3lb+ perch.

1st 57-11 - Rod Wootton - p18
2nd 57- 4 - Chris K - p15
3rd 47- 8 - Mark Poppleton - p13
4th 41- 6 - Mike West - p24
5th 41- 5 - Mark Walsh - p8
6th 38-10 - Allan Oram - p5

Silvers
1st 31- 0 - Allan Oram - p5
2nd 16- 9 - Tom Mangnall - p19
3rd 12- 3 - Eric Fouracre - p3

No comments: