Monday 24 September 2012

23/09/12 - Lands End - Johns

Weight - 47lb 13oz (9lb 3oz - silvers)
Catch - 10 Carp, 7 Crucians, 6 Skimmers, 2 F1s, 1 Roach, 1 Rudd
Weather - Cold, wet and windy
Match - Club - 1st out of 12

Unfortunatelt the weathermen got it right today. Plenty of wind and rain, but at least I could hide under the umbrella.

Todays club match saw 12 anglers turn up on Johns (no3) Lake and I found myself on p68, which I was happy with, although I think its a better autumn/winter peg, becuase its one of the deepest pegs on the lake and  by the island its bearly 3ft, which is too deep for the summer.

Speaking to Mike before the match, he said that about 400 small carp had been transfered from no4 lake, plus a number of skimmers and other silvers.

Because the weather had turned colder, I started off cautiously potting in a small amount of 3s & 4s by the weedbed and 13m towards the point of the island. After 10mins I only had a small roach on corn, so switched 4mm expander and caught crucians, skimmers and a small carp by the weedbed. I had also been feeding 4s just off the point of the island by catapult fully expecting a few carp late on to settle over the pellet. I did hook one carp there, which ran the length of the island only to snag me, breaking my rig.

At this point I realised I had spent too much time fishing on the deck, because my watch stopped and I lost track of time. Since there wasnt a silverfish pool, I needed some carp and it was becoming obvious they werent feeding on the deck, so it was time for a change and half pot of caster was dumped by the island. Whilst I let that settle I went out on hair rigged 6mm pellet and caught a few better sized silvers and another small carp, but ites just werent coming quickly enough.

Time to try the island and I caught a couple of F1s, before landing a couple of better carp. I had been toss potting caster, but started to get too many liners, so went back  to cupping in the caster which resulted in proper bites. I could only catch 1 or 2 fish before they spooked, so in went another pot of caster and try a different area of the swim whilst that settled.

I did catch a small carp down the margin, but double caster by the island was best including a near 10lber.

I was expecting a bigger weight to win today, but the sudden colder this weekend did have an impact. A separate match on Match Lake lake was only won with 60lb

1st 47-13 - Ken - p68
2nd 46-14 - Andy - p61
3rd 35- 6 - Roger - p55
4th 32- 8 - Craig - p58

No comments: