Saturday 22 September 2012

22/09/12 - Acorn - Paddock

Weight - 46lb 5oz (13lb 14oz - silvers)
Catch - 10 Carp, 32 Skimmers, 6 Perch, 2 Roach, 1 Tench, 1 Goldfish
Weather - Cold start, sunny, cool breeze
Match - Open - 9th out of 23 (1st - Silvers)

Originally I wanted to fish Lands End, however the Saturday opens seemed to have died with only a handful turning up, which to be honest I think is a shame.

Instead I decided to get a battering by the locals at Acorns. Well 23 turned up, which speaks volumes for the place and its certainly the closest commercial fishery to me, although its still 30mins away.

I found myself on peg 1, which has some recent silvers form, but I wasn't sure whether the skimmers would feed following the first cold night and bright, sunny conditions. Due to the weather I didn't fancy too many fish coming shallow so decided to focus on fishing down the track, with caster at 5m and pellet 11m slightly to my right & 12m to my left.

I started at 11m on 4mm expander, feeding a tiny pole pot of 3s and within 30mins had 4 carp and a skimmer before the swim died. This also co-incided with the wind picking up a little and it doesn't take much for the lake to start towing. As a consequence I had to change from the 0.3g HB Chump to a 0.5g, which definitely helped. I had been catapulting 4s at 12m, as well as caster at 5m. As the match progressed I had to keep rotating the 3 swims, because I couldn't catch more than 4 fish from one swim before I had to switch.

By the half way point a few more carp were being caught around me and I decided to stay focused on the silvers, since I couldn't see many being caught. However during the last 90mins I suffered a really dodgy patch, losing 4 carp (probably foul hooked) and missing a number of bites (probably liners).

As expected the weather had a say in the final result, but still plenty of bites, although no decent sized silvers to really boost my weight.

1st 80- 1 - Rod Wootton - p15
2nd 75-10 - Nick Harvey - p13
3rd 71- 4 - Garbriel S - p38
4th 64- 2 - Dom Sullivan - p37
5th 63- 0 - M Bellringer - p34
6th 50-13 - Jon Andres - p26

Silvers
1st 13-14 - Ken Rayner - p1
2nd 12-14 - Charlie Barnes - p11

No comments: