Thursday 13 September 2012

12/09/12 - Acorn - Paddock

Weight - 54lb 3oz (18lb 1oz - silvers)
Catch - 13 Carp, 29 Skimmers, 4 Perch, 3 Tench, 1 Chub, 1 Roach, 1 Rudd
Weather - Cooler. Mostly sunny, occasional shower
Match - 2+2 short pole - Avon Angling Open - 13th out of 22 (3rd - silvers)

Still quiet at work, although hopefully that will soon be resolved, so decided a mid-week match would be a good idea. It always surprises me the number of people who can make these matches.

I haven't fished Acorns since May and was looking forward to it, although a little out of touch with whats working. Initially I thought p38 was a good draw, however after reviewing the past 6 weeks results the peg has only featured once.

Tony rocked up on p36 with a gallon of maggot (well that experiment didn't work) and I decided to concentrate on soft pellet. Initially fed 4s at an angle to my left and a micros/groundbait to my right. Whilst I let that settle I started down my left margin next to some reeds on caster. However it took me a while to get a my first fish which was a small rudd and I became a little pre-occupied trying to catch by the reeds, because I was getting plenty of bites, but not connecting with anything.

After 30mins I decided I was wasting my time and switched to fishing my left & right hand down the track swims. I had set up 2 rigs, one to fish hard pellet on a hair rig and the other for soft pellet. The fish didn't seem to settle over the micros, so I binned that line concentrating on the left hand swim, which was also a little shallower so I don't know whether that had an effect.

Over the next couple of hours I kept catching skimmers and a couple of carp. In the meantime I had been feeding 4s and a few bits of corn to my right at the bottom of the first shelf where it was about 3ft. I had a few skimmers straight away on soft pellet before switching to corn when I had 3 carp and thought I sussed it, but no, the swim went quiet.

In the last 2 hours I kept rotating my 3 swims. The down the track swim produced very little and I think I may have overfed it. The right hand swim was still producing the odd fish, but it was a little sporadic, whilst my left hand reed swim finally started to produce a few carp on caster, as well as a couple of Tench, including one of 4lb 6oz.

During the weigh in it became obvious I was in the wrong part of the lake, however I still had plenty of bites and I can see me coming here quite a bit in the future.

1st 117-11 - Mike Nicholls - p12
2nd 99- 0 - Glenn Bailey - p21
3rd 98- 3 - Phil Harding - p15
4th 91- 8 - Mike West - p13
5th 90- 7 - Mash - p9
6th 70- 8 - Chris Winstone - p5

Silvers
1st 43-12 - Craig Edmunds - p1
2nd 29- 8 - John Bradford - p11
3rd 18- 1 - Ken Rayner - p38

No comments: