Monday 1 October 2012

30/09/12 - Lands End - Match

Weight - 43lb 12oz
Catch - 14 Carp, 8 Roach, 4 Perch, 2 Skimmers, 1 Tench, 1 Chub
Weather - Mostly sunny, but windy
Match - Avon Angling Open - 18th out of 36

With 36 pegs in the bucket, this match was over 3 lakes, yet I still managed to pull p11. Oh well, at least I knew the contours of the peg having fished it so often. Actually I wasn't that disappointed, because with 14 on the lake I had some space to my right in p12.

Initially wasn't sure whether to go silvers or carp, so started on corn by the island and take it from there. 15mins later I had a roach, followed by a 1lb carp. A switch to double caster produced a tench, a couple of decent perch and roach, before it died never to produce another bite.

I had been drip feeding 4s to my right by the lilies, plus at 13m at the bottom of the island shelf. The RH swim only produced a couple of small fish, whilst the 13m started to produce a few silvers and a couple of small carp on expander, before the wind really picked up coming through the gap in p13 straight into my face. I could barely see my float due to the combination of the ripple & sunshine. I think my presentation was also suffering in the wind, so binned the swim.

So half way in the match I was really struggling, even on maggot. The one area I had left alone so far was 13m towards the end bank and first drop in on double maggot produced a 4lber. I kept firing in 4s and had a decent run of fish on 6mm hard pellet, before it slowed down in the last hour.

The RH lily swim failed to produced anything of consequence, but to be fair I had started feeding handfuls of casters in an attempt to pull in some better fish, because those that I was catching were on the small side. I had kept feeding pellet towards the point of the island, hoping the carp would turn up late on, but having waited 5mins for a bite on pellet which only produced a chub, suggested they really didn't want to be there.

On another day I would have been happy to catch 14 carp and would have probably weighed 60-70lb, but today the ones I caught were mostly the small ones introduced from lake 4.

1st 127- 8 - Tom Magnall - p5
2nd 113-13 - Tony Rixon - p36
3rd 108- 6 - Sam Elliott - p21
4th 73-14 - Dave Evans - p66
5th 69- 7 - Reg Elliott - p42
6th 68- 4 - Phil Harding - p7

Silvers
1st 27-12 - Tony Rixon - p36
2nd 22- 4 - Pete Wild - p24
3rd 21-10 - Anton Page - p28

No comments: