Monday 29 April 2024

28/04/24 - Rood Ashton

Weight - 48lb 3oz
Carp - 11 Carp
Weather - Wet & cold overnight. Cool and breezy.
Match - Tackle Den (15 fished) - 6th overall, 2nd in section

Following a cold wet day yesterday and more cold overnight rain, the general feeling was the lake would fish hard. The good news was the ground was still hard enough to drive around the lake, you just had to avoid some soft spots.

At the draw I wanted to be around the big island or on the far bank. Unfortunately, I was disappointed to draw p3, which has been a poor area of the lake so far this year and was told I would be looking for 10 bites.

The plan of attack was quite simple. Start on the method to the small island opposite, feed 6mm pellet at 20m to fish the straight lead and feed meat down each margins, although the pole line was more out of hope than expectation.

It took me 55mins before I netted my first fish, after switching from a 6mm yellow wafter to 8mm meat soaked in A-krill cloud, fishing with P-nut micros and Uzit GLM Betaine Green groundbait, with a squeeze of GLM or Krill.

It’s fair to say the action was steady rather than hectic. After initially casting every 5mins, I found it best to wait 10mins, with bites coming between 6-9mins. If I didn’t get a bite after 2 casts, I would switch to the 20m line without success, but usually I would get another fish on the feeder when I returned.

It was noticeable I needed to keep feeding the groundbait to keep the fish coming and later on switched back to fishing a yellow wafter.

The last hour was quite disappointing as my feeder line had dried up and I couldn’t get a bite over the 20m line and my margins were full of roach.

In the end I only lost 1 carp and a small fish (which I think was a carp), and as expected the majority of the weights came from around the large island or the far bank. Even Pete who won our section was able cast long to the island, so the fish have yet to properly spread out.

1.   
129-13 – Andrew Black – p20
2.      72-  8 – Danny Barnett – p19
3.      70-  8 – Bobby Moore – p13
4.      66-  5 – Pete Philip – p6
5.      50-  0 – Ian Barker – p18

No comments: