Monday 22 April 2024

21/04/24 - Shiplate - Main Lake

Weight - 67lb 6oz (22lb 6oz)
Catch - 5 Carp, 18 Skimmers, 2 Tench, 2 Perch, 1 Roach
Weather - Mostly sunny, cool northerly wind.
Match - Open (19 fished) - 9th overall, 6th in silvers

A change of scenery this week, after spending a lovely week in Pembrokeshire.

I always enjoy my trips to Shiplate and todays match was on the main lake, which I haven’t fished for 3 or 4 years. With 19 booked it also meant it would be a bit cosy in certain areas of the lake. P12 put me in a good area, although I had venue regular Gary Flinders to my left on rarely used peg 12a.

Feedback was the lake had been fishing hard, but 120lb should win and 30lbs of silvers would be good. As I was out of touch with the venue I overcomplicated my approach in the first half of the match, which wasn’t helped by a strong northerly breeze blowing left to right.

I started on a tea bag and 8mm p-nut pellet, whilst I let my pole lines settle. The 14m line was fed with p-nut micros and 4mm, and a 7m line was fed with green Uzit ReAct groundbait and micros.

With no bites on the tea bag, I tried the 14m line fishing a 6mm expander, but the wind and tow meant I couldn’t get any decent presentation and gave up after 10mins. A new line was set up at 13m fed with groundbait and micros, and I caught a few skimmers on 4mm expanders at 7m and then 13m. But again, presentation wasn’t great and I ended up switching from a 0.4g chimp to a 0.5g chimp. This helped but the 13m line was a waste of time and I persisted a little too long on it.

I had been pinging 8mm pellets at 20m, but the wind was just spreading the bait all over the place. I did manage a carp on the tea bag, but I was really struggling and needed to simplify my approach.

I binned the 7m and 13m lines, fed some meat and micros off the right of the right bush at 9m and started pinging 6s at 16m.

After a slow start on the meat line, I started catching some decent skimmers and a couple of tench, before I caught a carp. After that the skimmers disappeared.

The 16m line produced a 12lber on the lead/meat. As a nothing to lose move, I dumped a pot of micros and 4s at 7m and fished paste (Uzit green betaine) over the top, catching 2 carp late on. Annoyingly I lost 1 carp on the paste, plus 2 carp from the right-hand bush.

To be honest I wished I had another hour, as I really fancied catching a few more on the paste. Overall, a half decent day where the wind didn’t help and the better weights came from the more sheltered end of the lake.

1.
    154-  3 – Chris Fox – p1
2.    132-14 – Julian Pinkett – p2
3.    121-  2 – Kurt Pinkett – p13
4.    106-13 – Tom Thick – p14a
5.      86-10 – Gary Flinders – p12a
Silvers
1.    41-12 – Steve Howell – p3
2.    36-  8 – Roy Ede – p9a
3.    35-  4 – Tony Rixon – p5

No comments: