Thursday 31 August 2023

26/08/23 - Ivy House - Kingfisher

Weight - 82lb 9oz (7lb - silvers)
Catch - 34 Carp, 13 Skimmers,  4 Roach
Weather - Mostly sunny, breezy at times
Match - Open (23 fished) - 10th overall, 3rd in section

Today was the first of 3 days at Ivy House and todays match was spread over Old Match Lake and Kingfisher. I drew p40 on Kingfisher which is a decent peg, however I haven’t fished this lake since April, so was a little unsure as to what would work.

I started on paste tight to the far bank and caught 4 carp after an hour, which was slow going, but better than those around me.

A switch to fishing down the track with 6mm pellet over 6s resulted in a couple of fish, but again it was slow going and I was
starting to struggle. I had considered trying shallow, however Joff to my left and Stu to my right both tried it with limited success. I think caster shallow would have worked if I had any.

In the meantime, I had also been feeding the deep water just off my right margin regularly with 6s, which quickly produced a carp and then nothing. Next, I tried fishing at the bottom of the far shelf, tapping in 4 & 6s fishing a hair rigged 6, and I started to catch. Only small carp, plus a couple of skimmers, but at least I was catching to keep myself ahead of those I could see.

When this line died, I moved back to the right-hand deep margin, fishing paste and it was much better catching some slightly better stamp fish. I was alternating with the left margin which proved tricky, but once I sorted out how best to feed (feeding small balls of micros was best) it improved.

Moving into the last hour, the right-hand swim was fading, so micros were fed tight into the margins, which resulted in a reasonable finish to the match.

2.    129-  3 – Simon Stacey – p2 (OML)
3.    120-  4 – Mark Poppleton – p49 (K)
4.    100-13 – Chris Timms – p1 (OML)
5.    100-  7 – Andy Dixey – p43 (K)
6.      92-  8 – Sean Rhodes – p2 (OML)
Silvers
1.      60-  6 – Mike Etheridge – p5 (OML)
2.      14-13 – Alfie – p42 (K)

No comments: