Tuesday 15 August 2023

13/08/23 - Ivy House - Heron

Weight - 179lb 4oz
Catch - 102 Carp, 52 F1
Weather - Mostly cloudy, sunshine and showers
Match - Open (14 fished) - 4th overall

As I intended to fish caster shallow, I hoped to draw on a few F1s, although P14 wouldn’t have been my first choice as its not a noted area for F1s.

After yet more rain yesterday, I thought it might be difficult to catch shallow and that’s how it turned out, but I still expected a few bites.

I started on paste off the end of my keepnets and had a good start catching 30 carp in the first hour, including a 4lber which was a real bonus.

Moving into the second hour the paste line was fading with tiny carp becoming a nuisance, so I tried the shallow caster line at 10m and initially struggled to catch properly. I eventually worked it out, however the F1s were tricky to find, regularly switching between 6in and 12in deep. It was becoming obvious there weren’t many in the area, as I was catching quite a few carp, including the tiny ones which was proving frustrating.

By halfway I was up to 70ish fish, however Dave Wilmott on p13 was now catching well down his margin on pellet. I struggled to catch down my margin, so stayed on the shallow line, trying to pull the fish closer but they wouldn’t come closer than 8m.

I eventually caught a few fish down my margin on pellet, which was fortunate as my shallow line was fading fast, but I generally struggled to catch in the last hour.

In the end I had plenty of fish, but too many small carp, which probably cost me 3rd place. Still an enjoyable day’s fishing, although I really need to work on fishing my margins better.

1.   
233-  2 – Dave Wilmott – p13
2.    225-  2 – Mick O’Brien – p20
3.    196-  2 – Simon Duke – p8
4.    179-  4 – Ken Rayner – p14
5.    173-  2 – Jamie Durrup – p16

No comments: