Sunday 30 April 2023

29/04/23 - Ivy House - Old Match Lake

Weight - 52lb 2oz
Catch - 10 Carp, 5 Skimmers, 2 Roach, 1 Crucian
Weather - Warm, sunny, light cloud
Match - Open (11 fished) - 2nd overall

No fishing last weekend as we visited Abi’s parents in Lancashire, which as it happened was just as well as it gave Clayton time to repair my 16m section for this weekend.

There was 11 of us today and when I drew p9, I was told the fish were at the other end of the lake and p9 blanked in Tuesday’s match. However, whilst the lake is currently fishing hard, I was hoping the warmer weather would start spreading the fish around.

With no island chuck I didn’t bother setting up any rods. There were a couple of cruisers but decided to start down the right-hand end bank with double corn, toss potting some corn and micros, but other than a few bites from silvers there was nothing doing for the first 20 mins.

Switching to a 14m line slightly to my right where I had feed some micros & 4s, produced a small carp almost immediately on hair rigged 4mm pellet. I then lost next 2, before catching a decent crucian.

As there were a few more cruisers showing I decided to try my luck, mugging 1 on 8mm pellet, but they were really moody. I managed to drop the pellet in amongst a pod of 8, thinking at least 1 would take the bait, but no and I was in danger of wasting time chasing shadows. I tried a 6mm pellet, thinking they would prefer a smaller bait, but the fish just weren’t feeding, so reverted back to an 8mm and did manage an 11lber later on.

I kept the right hand 14m line topped with pellet, hoping the carp would eventually settle over it later in the match, but they never did. In the meantime, I had kept a 14m swim slightly to my left topped up with micros, 4s and dead maggot and since I was struggling to catch carp decided to try for some silvers. Double dead reds only produced a small skimmer and a couple of roach, so I soon switched to a 4mm expander and cut out the dead maggot from my top ups.

This produced a couple of better skimmers and then 3 carp which was a bonus, although regardless of which line I tried lost fish was still a problem and to be fair I wasn’t the only one.

With 2.5hrs remaining I had started feeding my left margin at 5m with micros and corn, but when I started fishing here with an hour remaining it didn’t feel right and I felt the fish weren’t coming over to much feed. Instead, I moved to 8m down the margin and just toss potted some corn and micros, fishing double corn. This produced 3 carp and a skimmer.

Overall, a frustrating day as the fish just weren’t feeding properly and I lost 8 carp in total, any one of which would have won me the match, although Smiffy also lost a few too. It was at least good to see the fish more spread around and hopefully it won’t be long before the weights start improving.

1.   
55-14 – Alan Smith – p7
2.    52- 2 – Ken Rayner – p9
3.    50- 2 – Phil Gooding – p17
4.    46- 0 – Paul Baker – p18
Silvers
1.    20- 2 – Phil Gooding – p17
2.    19- 6 – Baggy – p13
3.    15- 0 – Stu Foale – p3

No comments: