Saturday 8 April 2023

07/04/23 - Ivy House - Heron

Weight - 78lb 8oz
Catch - 60 Carp, 14 F1
Weather - Bright and sunny, with no wind
Match - Open (18 fished) - 3rd overall

After all the recent rains, today’s forecast was for bright sunshine, which would make a pleasant change, although it was a chilly start.

I was looking forward to fishing heron as it’s been 6 weeks since I was last here when maggot dominated, but it was all change now as I only brought pellet and corn.

P22 was my home for the day which hasn’t been the best recently, as p20 has been the boss peg on this side of the lake and p21 won yesterdays match, so at least I would have a day’s fishing. I had my nemesis on this lake Dave ‘are we having a pound’ Willmott on p21, which is always interesting!

After feeding some micros and 4s at 16m at the bottom of the far shelf I started on a mini method with micros and a little groundbait, either fishing 6mm yellow wafter or pellet, cast to the island.

4 fish after 30mins wasn’t the return I was hoping for and Dave was already ahead fishing at 16m, so I followed suit fishing a 4mm hair rigged pellet kindering 4s. I was also pinging pellet, but soon stopped that and stuck with toss potting 4s which resulted in a good couple of hours.

When the swim slowed, I moved up the far shelf to the full 16m and managed a few more fish, but it was slowing. I also tried to catch shallow without success and I wasn’t the only one struggling to catch shallow, not helped by the bright flat conditions and the water was still a little on the clear side.

With 2hrs remaining (6hr match) I really hoped my short line or deep margin would kick into to life. Unfortunately, it didn’t, although I managed a few more fish on the method and another run of fish at 16m, the last 2hrs was disappointing, allowing Dave to overtake me who did catch down his right margin and Joff on p20 had a good run on his short line.

So, pleased and a little surprised to come 3rd overall, but felt I was a little out of touch with the lake and should have caught more particularly from the short line.

1.   
114- 0 – Joff Rogers – p20
2.      84- 8 – Dave Willmott – p21
3.      78- 8 – Ken Rayner – p22
4.      64-14 – Carl Lindley – p6
5.      62- 8 – Carl Mulford – p7

No comments: