Wednesday 26 October 2022

23/10/22 - Lavington - Ellis Lake

Weight - 114lb 0oz
Catch - 14 Carp, 1 Perch
Weather - Heavy rain cleared to be sunny
Match - Club (8 fished) - 1st overall

As I will be at Ivy House quite a bit over the autumn and winter, I fancied a change of scenery with the chance of catching some units. Therefore, I jumped on a club match at Lavington. Waking up with the raining hammering down I did waver about going, but the forecast suggested it would clear up in a few hours.

Driving to the lake there was plenty of water on the roads and arriving at the lake car park there were 4 no shows, either because they were put off by the weather or by roads that were unpassable.

I drew peg 9 with no island chuck, which meant I didn’t bother with the feeder rod. With all the heavy overnight rain, most thought it would fish hard, and I thought 50lb would be a good target weight.

Looking at my peg I decide on 3 areas, down the left margin next to some lilies feeding micros and corn, 8m to my right in 6ft of water feeding 6mm meat and micros and 12m where it was 7ft deep feeding micros, 4s and corn.

Starting at 8m, I was very surprised to hook a fish also immediately, but it took nearly an hour to net my next fish. Over the following hour, my 12m line produced a carp on 6mm (baninion janner) expander, before catching 3 carp down my left margin on corn in a 30mins spell.

My 8m line didn’t really get going and a couple of foul hooked fish suggest I was fishing too deep and feeding 6mm meat probably didn’t help. So, I setup another rig to fish the right margin which was a little deeper than the left, but this time just fed meat and a little micro, as my left margin had completely died, and I got the feeling I may have overfed it.

The new swim proved to be very productive fishing 8mm meat including a couple of double figure fish and I was left wishing the match was 6hrs, rather than 5.

In the end the day turned into a lovely bright day and a nice day’s fishing, despite the heavy downpour as we were packing up!

1.   
114- 0 – Ken Rayner
2.      72- 0 – Andy Almond
3.      54- 0 – Martin Atkinson

 

 

 

No comments: