Tuesday 18 October 2022

15/10/22 - Ivy House - Old Match Lake

Weight - 57lb 11oz (16lb 14oz - silvers)
Catch - 25 Skimmers, 12 Carp
Weather - Sunny with cloudy periods and blustery
Match - Open (17 fished) - 1st in silvers 

After a lovely break in Mauritius where I still managed to do some fishing catching baby groupers and bream on plastic jigs off a jetty by the hotel, I was looking forward to getting back to Ivy House. 

We were spread across the Old Match Lake and Kingfisher. I fancied Kingfisher as I hadn’t been on there for a while, however I ended up on p14 on the Old Match Lake, the least favourite area of the lake. However, with a spare peg either side I at least had plenty of space.

I started off looking for carp, but only caught 2 small ones after 45mins and with the better pegs catching made up my mind to try for silvers.
 
I initially started off cautiously feeding a nugget of micros/groundbait at 13m and caught almost immediately on 4mm expanders. I noticed Andy Weston on p16 catch a couple of skimmers over a big pot of groundbait. So, I followed suit, feeding a big pot of groundbait, micros and dead maggot off to my left at 14m out of the way.
 
Over the next couple of hours, I rotated between the left hand 14m line and the negatively fed 13m line, picking up a couple of carp in amongst the skimmers. The 13m line I just kept topped up with a nugget of micros/groundbait, whilst the left hand 14m was topped up whenever bites stopped, catching mostly on expanders using double dead reds as a backup.
 
The last hour was a little frustrating as the carp woke up and I couldn’t catch any more skimmers. However, an enjoyable day, feeding 3pts of groundbait and a pint of micros.
 
1.   
99-  8 – Steve Brown – p41
2.    94-  7 – Danny Richards – p5
3.    90-  3 – Steve Waters – p18
4.    63-  5 – Jeff Rogers – p37
5.    62-10 – Baggy – p10
Silvers
1.    16-14 – Ken Rayner – p14
2.    10-  7 – Glyn Loveday – p44
3.      9-11 – Steve Waters – p18
4.      9-  0 – Andy Weston – p16
5.      8-  1 – Tim Hadland – p8

No comments: