Monday 29 August 2022

28/08/22 - Todber - Hillview

Weight - 462lb 2oz
Catch - 125 Carp, 7 Roach, 2 Perch, 1 Gudgeon
Weather - Warm & sunny
Match - So Simple League - rd 7 (18 fished) - 3rd overall, 2nd in section

The penultimate round of the So Simple League and after missing the last round at Durleigh I was sitting 4th needing a decent result today.

I haven’t fished Todber for 2 months and in that time the weights can only be described as mental. So, I needed to take plenty of keepnets.

I was a little disappointed with p40, particularly as the wind was blowing into the 30s and I fancied league leader Chris ‘Griff’ Ware for the section on p36.

Decided to keep it simple, paste at 2+1, meat over micros/groundbait down the margins and a shallow rig as a backup, which to be honest I didn’t expect to use as it was flat calm in front of me.

Starting at 2+1 on paste (kriller : choc orange), I found it best not to feed any pellet and just rely on the paste and had a good 70mins catching 22 carp before the swim slowed.

At this point I was probably leading the section and with plenty of fish showing down my margin I was expecting to spend the rest of the match catching on 10mm meat. Unfortunately, I struggled to get going down the margin. In the end cutting out the groundbait/micros and just feeding meat was better, but the 2nd hour was slow only adding 10 carp. This allowed Griff to overtake me who was now catching really well shallow.

I had no choice but to follow suit and was surprised to catch well on 8mm pellet over 6s and later 4s at 2+2. I stuck with this line for most of the match, except for 20mins down the margins, hoping for some better fish, but whilst I caught well the size of fish were a slightly smaller stamp than the shallow line, so I stayed on this until the end.

With 9 nets I hoped for 450lb, and I wasn’t far off my guess and a PB weight. Well done to Griff who won the section and that 2nd hour certainly cost me.

If I am being totally honest, I am not sure I would want to do this every week, but it was enjoyable none the less and most of us came away with PB’s, so a lot of happy, if not knackered faces and shattered bodies.

1.
    520- 3 – Simon Poynter – p47
2.    489- 4 – Chris Ware – p36
3.    462- 2 – Ken Rayner – p40
4.    448-15 – Chris Whitehead – p45
5.    398-11 – Gary Dennis – p58

No comments: