Saturday 20 August 2022

19/08/22 - Ivy House - Old Match Lake

Weight - 77lb 8oz (6lb - silvers)
Catch - 20 Carp, 7 Skimmers, 1 Roach
Weather - Sunny, cloudy periods and fresh breeze
Match - Open (13 fished) - 8th overall

Back to Ivy House for the Friday afternoon/evening match and it was a little cooler than of recent.

Although not my favourite peg, I was happy with p7 particularly as the breeze was blowing into the peg. My plan was to catch shallow, before moving down the margins. However, it didn’t quite work out that way.

Starting on the method to the island I caught 2 carp, but overhanging vegetation meant I couldn’t get as tight as I wanted. A third carp came from the right-hand margin on 8mm pellet, but after 90mins that was all I had.

I tried the shallow line, trying 6 & 8mm

pellet but other than 1 lost foul hooker I couldn’t catch, although unbelievably I managed to hook up on a rig I lost on Sunday when the elastic snapped at the connector. What are the chances?!

After 2hrs I decided to bin the shallow line as it just wasn’t happening and neither was the feeder, forcing me into a re-think.

New rigs were set up to fish corn or paste on a short line. Fortunately, I managed to catch a few on corn at 6m and down the right margin on paste, however I could only catch stockies and had nothing over 4lb, although putting a 5lber the wrong side of the keepnet didn’t help.

My left-hand margin which was shallower than the right, which I fed with mostly corn and micros only produced 1 bream, surprisingly.

With 4hrs gone I only had 10 carp for 35lb. In the final hour the fish finally turned up mostly at 5m on paste, plus a couple more from the right margin adding a further 10 carp, plus a few skimmers for 43lb.

So, a great last hour, but again the stamp of fish was disappointing. Normally with 20 carp I would have hoped for at least 100lb. As it turned out the top 4 weights came from p13-p18, meaning I was just in the wrong area today.

1.    151- 0 – Carl Mulford – p15
2.    130- 0 – Val Murray – p18
3.    115- 0 – Mick Lane – p13
4.      94- 8 – Mick O’Brien – p16

No comments: