Monday 1 August 2022

26/07/22 - Ivy House - Old Match Lake

Weight - 116lb 0oz 
Catch - 22 Carp, 4 Skimmers
Weather - Cloudy with sunny periods
Match - Open (15 fished) - joint 4th overall

I had intended to fish the England Ladies 2 dayer at the Glebe and then Baston. Yesterday (Monday) I woke up with a migraine and very little sleep. So decided to see how I felt before going to Barston. Whilst I felt better Tuesday morning, I didn’t feel like the 2.5hr drive to Barston, so decided to book in on the midweek open at Ivy House on the Old Match Lake.

My last 2 matches here, have been disappointing. In hindsight focusing on paste or fishing pellet on the deck hasn’t right and felt I needed to change my approach slightly.

With 15 fishing I was happy to draw p10 which offered some space. It is also a peg I have never drawn and it provided a few options with the island 16m away and a long margin down my left.

Talking to a couple of regulars the straight lead and pellet was mentioned more than once, so that was set up quite quickly.

On the all in I started on the paste hoping to pick up an early carp, before the swim would start fizzing. In the meantime, I started pinging pellet down the left hand bank.

I did catch an early small carp and then a small skimmer, but binned the line off after 15mins. A switch to fishing 6mm pellet at 14m towards the island up the shelf only produced a single skimmer, which was surprising as there were a few fish moving about.

Trying the straight lead didn’t produce a single bite, so tried double corn over micros by the island, but only caught 1 carp. To be honest not a lot was being caught around me but felt I should have had a few more fish the net and fishing the straight and pellet wasn’t positive enough.

With 2hrs gone and less than 10lb in the net, I tried a small method with a 6mm yellow wafter cast down the side of the island and I started to put a few fish in the net, as well as thinking why didn’t I do this earlier!

Fishing down the left hand bank didn’t produce as expected. I had 1 carp on pellet at 14m just past the reeds, I even tried the straight lead again without success.

Whilst I was still able to catch on the feeder, I really needed my margins to fire up as the stamp of fish was likely to be better than the feeder fish. The problem was the reeds over hanged a bit and although I managed to pull some the reeds back over, with a no gardening rule I was limited with what I could do. I managed to find a spot at 10m which allowed me to at least fish the top marginal shelf…just.

This line produced 4 decent sized carp, 2 on paste and 2 on double corn, but trying to get the rig tight in was proving difficult. In the end I finished on the feeder netting a fish on the all out.

I was pleasantly surprised to finish joint 4th and had the joint best weight from our bank

1.    132-  0 – Stitch – p7
2.    126-  0 – Mark Poppleton – p3
3.    120-  0 – Karl – p5
4.    116-  0 – Ken Rayner – p10
4.    116-  0 – Allan Oram – p12
Silvers
1.    29-  0 – Smiffy – p18
2.    24-  0 – Sid – p16
3.    18-  0 – Paul Baker – p4
4.    14-  0 – Mark Poppleton – p3

No comments: