Monday 27 June 2022

25/06/22 - Todber - Hillview

Weight - 191lb 14oz
Catch - 58 Carp, 3 Roach, 1 Skimmer
Weather - Sunny, cool and windy
Match - Open (23 fished) - 7th overall

Back to Todber for the open and we were all on Hillview. I drew p50 which I thought would be ok with a strong south westerly blowing off my left shoulder, but it felt cold.

After last weeks success I wanted to refine my paste approach, sticking with my 50:50 mix of So Simple Blue Ice and Kriller, feeding 4s boosted with sludge.

After feeding a cup of pellet at 2+2 I started on the method towards the far bank, however after 30mins I had only caught a single carp and 1 skimmer. I didn’t pick up the rod for the rest of the match.

Switching to the 2+2 line I started to catch on paste, initially slowly as I tried to work out how best to feed. After 2hrs I was up to 23 carp and looking good for 200lb, although the stamp of fish was a little below average.

Unfortunately, the wheels fell off a little in the 3rd hour, losing 2 fish when the line snapped around the eye of the float, and this is the 4th such failure recently. It’s a float pattern I’ve used before without issue, but for some reason the recent batch purchased are cutting into the line. Very frustrating, losing my rhythm and started suffering too many foulhookers, resulting in only 4 fish.

I managed to re-set and got back to catching, although foulhookers were still a problem, regardless of how I fed. Eventually, I sorted it out, but the 2+2 line wasn’t as prolific as earlier in the match.

Fortunately, I found some better fish in the margin again on paste and on 8mm pellet fishing off the end of the keepnets, landing 31 carp during the last 2hrs.

I have to admit I was a little frustrated when I saw the weigh sheet, as I realised that the poor 3rd hour cost me at least the section and possibly 3rd overall. However, that’s the way it goes sometimes.

1st: Jack Stamp 255lb 6oz (42)
2nd: Martin Rogers 254lb 12oz (38)
3rd: Simon Stacey 227lb 14oz (55)
4th: Matt Rowe 221lb 12oz (56)
5th : Mark Cannings 208lb 2oz (34)

No comments: