Sunday 19 June 2022

18/06/22 - Todber - Hillview

Weight - 223lb 14oz
Catch - 67 Carp, 1 Roach
Weather - Cool & cloudy. Strong northerly
Match - Open (20 fished), 3rd overall, 1st in section

What a difference a day makes. Yesterday was hot, but this morning I woke up to cool cloudy conditions where the wind had switched from a south westerly to a northerly.

Todays match was all on Hillview and I was initially disappointed with p37, however when I arrived the wind was blowing straight into my bank and to be honest I quite fancied it for a few.

Like the last match here, my main attack would revolve around fishing paste and this time I also set up a pellet rig to cover my options, but it never got used due to the increasingly strong wind.

On the all-in, a pot of sludge boosted 4s and micros was dumped at 2+2. Whilst that settled, I started on the method, although the strong head wind made casting in the same spot a bit tricky.

After 30mins it was slow going only catching 1 carp and a roach. A switch to the short pole line was unproductive, so back to the method and I quickly netted 3 carp before the line died again. When I switched back to the paste line, I started to catch a few fish.

After 2hrs I had about 45lb which was similar to Simon Stacey next to me on p38 and I couldn’t see anyone running away with it. However, the following 90mins saw the short pole line really kick into life, adding about 100lb.

Unfortunately, with 90mins remaining the head wind was getting stronger and presentation was increasingly difficult. Fishing the left margin where I had been feeding 4s for the last 2hrs I was expecting the swim to be solid, however it was slower than expected and it was necessary to switch between the margin and short pole line for the remainder of the match.

By the all-out I thought I had beaten those I could see and was pleased to finish 3rd overall, winning my section.

1.   
278-14 – Trigger – p50
2.    236-12 – Jack Stamp – p56
3.    223-14 – Ken Rayner – p37
4.    206-14 – Ash Tompkins – p60
5.    196- 4 – Tony Gilbert – p51 

No comments: