Sunday 5 June 2022

04/06/22 - Todber - Hillview

Weight - 132lb 8oz
Catch - 35 Carp, 2 Roach
Weather - Cool and easterly wind
Match - Open (20 fished) - 8th overall

As I have a couple of matches at Todber this month I decided to book in for the open to try and get back in touch with the place. I did expect to be off the pace, but when I drew p49 I thought happy days, however my day turned into a struggle.

When I got to my peg, there was a strong easterly wind blowing right to left and I had thought about setting up a pellet rig, but the tow was likely to be a nightmare and therefore decided to fish positively on paste with a method as a back-up.

After an hour I was beginning to regret my decision as I only had 3 fish in the net and after 3hrs was up to 50lb. I even struggled to catch on the method, as you would catch a couple of fish before it went quiet.

The left margin was best, fishing blue ice : kriller paste over micros and in the 4th hour I had a really run of fish from the margin and a 2+2 line. In the 5th and final hour, it slowed a little, but the wheels fell off a little as I got over excited with my feed trying to force the peg and suffered from too many liners.

A difficult day and by Todber standards the lake fished quite hard and in reality, I fed too aggressively expecting at least 200lb which was my undoing as the fish never really seemed to settle.

1.    235- 6 – Craig Edmunds – p60
2.    216-10 – Jack Stamp – p53
3.    180- 6 – Fred Roberts – p57
4.    155-10 – Alex Murray – p35
5.    154-12 – Barry Robson – p45  

No comments: