Sunday 19 June 2022

17/06/22 - Ivy House - Old Match Lake

Weight - 112lb 8oz (18lb 8oz - silvers)
Catch - 18 Carp, 2 F1s, 17 Skimmers, 4 Roach
Weather - Hot & sunny, breezy
Match - Open (6 fished) - 3rd overall

I decided to fish the afternoon/evening (2.30 – 7.30) match at Ivy House, however there was only 6 anglers, so plenty of room for everyone. Ideally, I would have preferred the cafĂ© side of the lake but ended on p11 where I could reach the island at 16m.

Whilst it was very warm, there was a strong breeze blowing right to left and decided not to bother setting up any rigs to fish towards the island. Instead the intention was to fish the method across and paste (blue ice : kriller) at 8m and down the margins.

To be honest I didn’t get it right in the first hour. I tried to catch shallow without success, before catching a carp across on the method. As the wind started blowing from behind, I tried fishing corn across, big potting micros and corn. This produced a couple of small carp and skimmers, but the wind started being a pain again and I wasn’t catching as well as I hoped.

I could see Ricky catching well on p8 and Mark called me to say he had about 65lb after 90mins from p2, so I was already way behind and needed to get going.

I had fed 6s at 8m catching a few decent size skimmers on 6mm kriller pellet, but only 1 carp. I had also fed, both margins with 4s, where I caught a couple of carp on paste from the left margin, before they disappeared. The right-hand margin only produced a couple silvers.

With 2 hours remaining the 8m line had faded, so I came back to 6m potting a half cup of micros and 4s, fishing paste over the top. I was still catching skimmers up to 3lb, but I was at least catching a few carp up to 10lb in between.

The left margin was a bit a frustrating, as I started with nice clean bites, before suffering with too many fish in the swim and false bites. In hindsight I should have fished double corn or worm over the top.

Overall, an enjoyable evening, but a little too far behind the top 2, who both caught fishing shallow, so I probably missed a trick.

1.    162- 8 – Ricky Mills – p8
2.    160-10 – Mark Poppleton – p2
3.    112- 8 – Ken Rayner – p11

No comments: