Monday 30 May 2022

29/05/22 - Ivy House - Heron

Weight - 91lb 14oz
Catch - 45 Carp, 38 F1
Weather - Cool, cloudy, occasional light shower
Match - Steve Martin Series rd 2 (16 fished) - 7th overall, 3rd in section

The 2nd round of Steve’s summer series. At the draw I wasn’t too concerned where I drew, although with only 16 today I would have preferred a peg with some space. Alas I drew p8 which was in a row of 6, however I was confident of catching a few following my last couple of matches here.

On the all in I started at 2+2 fishing pellet, but after 5mins and no bites it just didn’t feel right, so switched to fishing a small method with baninion boosted micros and a little groundbait (50:50 blue ice : kriller) tight to the island. I stayed on this for 90mins, catching 27 fish, with 4mm red gonut pellet being the best bait.

After 90mins the swim was fading, catching smaller carp and bites weren’t coming as quickly.

A switch to my shallow line fed with pellet was disappointing, in fact everyone who tried shallow struggled. An early look down my margin produced a couple of decent fish on corn over 4mm pellet & corn, before that faded as well. To be fair with every peg in and the weather being quite cool, I wasn’t surprised my margin was slow.

The rest of the match was a case of rotating my 3 swims, catching a handful of fish from 1 swim before having to switch again. I had hoped at least one of my lines would get stronger towards the end of the match, but it just didn’t happen.

Well done to Pete on my right who got it right, fishing paste all day at 6m to win the match. On the whole the better weights came from those pegs with a little space and on reflection 3rd in section was a good result and improved my league position.

1.    118- 6 – Pete Ball – p7
2.    102-11 – Matt Banks – p6
3.    101-11 – Barry Meaden – p13
4.    100-12 – Ivan Oakley – p17
5.      99- 3 – Steve Schiers – p21





No comments: