Monday 16 May 2022

15/05/22 - Todber - Whiteposts

Weight - 70lb
Catch - 21 Carp, 5 Skimmers, 1 Tench.
Weather - Mostly raining
Match - Steve Martin Summer Series - rd1 (19 fished) - 9th overall, 6th in section

I decided to fish Steve Martins Summer League again, having previously come 2nd & 3rd, but last year’s campaign proved to be quite difficult, and I was hoping for an improvement.

Today was the first of 6 rounds and there were 19 of us spread across the 2 lakes at Whiteposts. Both lakes had received a consignment of silvers and carassios taken from Wadmill (day ticket specimen water) which could make it interesting and recent results suggested the top lake had been fishing better than the bottom lake.

I drew peg 12, which I was happy with as it was an end peg on the top lake, although it can be a bit of a tackle graveyard, thanks to the lilies and trees and the water level was down by more than a foot. However, walking the lake before the all-in it was evident there were more fish at the other end which was a concern.

Starting at 13m tapping in 4s fishing a 6mm pellet, produced a skimmer. A change to a 4mm pellet produced a couple more skimmers, before I caught a small carp and then a couple of decent sized carassios. To be honest it wasn’t the start I was hoping for as there didn’t seem to be many fish in the area and Si Davies next to me was also struggling, whilst I could hear fish being landed further down the lake.

I tried the method between the trees on the far bank, losing 1 fish and then catching a branch losing the whole rig. So, I decided to start focusing on the right margin, close to the bush but far enough away from the lilies to give me a chance for pulling the fish away.

Fishing paste (50:50 kriller & blue ice) and feeding sludge boosted micros I had to wait for bites, but at least I was catching, although I did lose 1 in the lilies and a couple more due to hook pulls.

I had kept my 13m line topped up with 4s, which produced a couple of small carp, but it wasn’t improving as expected and with 2hrs remaining binned the line. Instead, I started feeding sludge boosted meat at 6m.

By swapping between the left and right margin I manged to keep the fish coming. With an hour remaining I tried my meat line, but only caught a small tench. Coming back to the margins and they had died. With 30mins remaining I had my best period of the match catching 5 carp over my meat line.

The weigh in started at p1 and as it progressed it was becoming obvious the lake had fished well and the fish just didn’t seem to be down my end in any number, with those  that were there a smaller stamp than normal. Si came last in section with 25lb which illustrated how tough it was down my end.

Coming 6th in section isn’t an ideal start to the series, so onwards and upwards for the next one on Heron at Ivy House.

1.    173-  0 – Tony Gilbert – p3 (top)
2.    139-12 – Matt Banks – p8 (top)
3.    103-  9 – Cosmo – p20 (bottom)
4.      98-  3 – Nigel Reeves – p10 (top)
5.    89-  5 - Dave Martin - p25 (bottom)

No comments: