Monday 27 February 2017

26/02/17 - Viaduct - Campbell

Weight - 36lb 10oz (11lb 10oz - silvers)
Catch - 3 Carp, 10 Roach, 9 Skimmers, 1 Tench, 1 Perch
Weather - Windy and mostly cloudy
Match - Winter League - 11th out of 19 - section

The penultimate round of the winter league and after the last round Colmic SW needed a decent draw to maintain our top 5 position. Well that honour fell to Martin Preston and when he came out of the lodge the look on his face said it all, he had failed.

Mark Poppleton on was p94, Martin Preston p62, Calum Craig p46, Nick Merry p15 and I had p126 directly opposite were I was yesterday. So far this series the best weight from my peg was 12lb and I wasn't filled with a great deal of optimism since the majority of weights have been coming from the other side of the spit around the aerator.

Anyway I had a job to do and based on yesterdays match felt that silvers was going to play a part in picking a few extra points, that was assuming the wind blowing down the lake would allow. For company I had Nick Collins on p127 and Steve Skelton on p125.

On the all in, I deposited a 1/4 pot of caster with a few bits of corn at 13m, deciding against using the groundbait. Instead of starting on the tip like every one else, I went short at 7m with meat just in case. If there were any carp in the middle of the lake those around me would soon catch them.

After 15mins and no bites on the meat and no one had caught on the tip, I switched to the pole, conscious that I needed to make the most of the favourable wind since the forecast was for the wind to increase in strength later in the day. I also decided to fish double caster, since I really needed to catch some proper fish rather than little roach and it wasn't long before I caught a 2lb skimmer, followed by another. On the hour mark I had an 8lb carp on the lead and corn.

The rest of the match was a case of catch a fish on the pole, pot 50 or so caster and a couple of bits of corn. If I had a run of roach, a bigger pot of bait was introduced and whilst that settled I would switch to the lead. A near 10lb carp at 20m after 3hrs meant I was beating those around me, however most of the anglers on the opposite bank were catching and it was becoming apparent that I was probably in the poorest area of the lake.

The wind in the last hour was increasing in strength and it was becoming difficult to hold the pole even at 13m with a bump bar. A margin swim fed with caster didn't yield anything and a try over the 7m meat line resulted in a lost foul hooked carp, but I couldn't get decent presentation due to the undertow.

With 30mins to go, a big pot of caster and some corn was deposited at 14m, but instead of fishing the pole, I switched to the straight lead at 16/17m and caught my 3rd carp again on corn.

By the end of the match, I felt I fished a good match, beating those around me, but simply couldn't compete the current form pegs.

As for the team, we had a mare, with Mark and Martin struggling we ended up with 40pts, which has dropped us down to 8th in the league. A decent draw and a bit of luck is required for the last round to get back into the top 5.

1. Mark Leader (Maver Cadbury Angling) - 101lb 2oz - peg 113
2. Mash (M5 Angling) - 95lb 3oz - peg 131...
3. Scott Cousins (Viaduct All Stars) - 88lb 1oz - peg 111
4. Matt Parsons (M5 Angling) - 87lb 5oz - peg 100
5. Bob Giles (Natural Talent) - 84lb 14oz - peg 18
6. Ben Hagg (Natural Talent) - 82lb 1oz - peg 68
Silvers:
1. Bob Giles (Natural Talent) - 28lb 12oz - peg 18
2. Paul Greenwood (M5 Angling) - 27lb 8oz - peg 20
3. Alex Nadin (Garbolino BVMG) - 23lb 10oz - peg 19
4. Glyn Reynolds (Viaduct All Stars) - 22lb 2oz - peg 3
5. Vince Brown (Mosella Bathampton) - 20lb 10oz - peg 4
6. Steve Hutter (Viaduct All Stars) - 17lb 12oz - peg 41

No comments: