Tuesday 21 February 2017

19/02/17 - Lands End - Match

Weight - 38lb 10oz (6lb 12oz - silvers)
Catch - 5 Carp, 3 F1s, 3 Skimmers, 4 Roach, 1 Perch
Weather - Mild and mostly cloudy
Match - Winter League rd 4 - 3rd out of 33 silvers (12th overall)

It was back to a random draw today and to be honest I wasn't concerned about which lake to draw. After 3 rounds my league hasn't quite gone to plan, were any pick up in the overall league was unlikely, but a top 2 position in the silvers league was a definite possibility since I was lying 3rd.

Have to say I was more than happy to draw p20, since it made up my mind to target the silvers, because with the current flyers of p11, 13 & 15 were in my section it was unlikely I could compete. Also having won the silvers from p19 yesterday and winning the silvers in round 3 from this peg 2 weeks ago I was hopeful of another good day.

For company was Joe McMahon on p18 and Rich Lovering on p22 (in a different section) who was also hoping for a day on the silvers as he was lying 2nd in the silvers.

Tactics would be similar to yesterday, so started on the corn without feeding and in the first 90 mins I picked up 3 carp and more importantly 3 F1s. Despite trying various spots I caught all the fish from 1 spot slightly to my right at the bottom of the far shelf.

After those initial 90mins I fed gonuts black micros in 2 spots at the bottom of the shelf. A switch to fishing maggot over caster at 7m where I had fed from the start proved fruitless and down by the p19 pallet also proved disappointing, catching only caught a 1lb perch on caster.

In fact the remainder of the match was really frustrating, I managed to pick up 3x 12oz skimmers on 4mm expander over the micros, but nothing else. It was strange, because all my usual 'tricks' to catch were failing me.

I knew Russ Peck on p11(in my section) had caught 2 decent skimmers for about 5lb and could very easier steal the silvers section points. As I struggled to get bites I started to be more aggressive with my feed to try and pull in some fish, but all I ended up doing was killing my swim.

A bit of a tense end to the match and was relieved when Russ hadn't added to his 2 skimmers, which meant I had won my section for silvers. Rich got pipped for his silvers section points by 1oz - thanks Dave Hodgson!

As expected Bob Gullick on p13 and Steve Hutter on p15 came 1st and 2nd in section, so the decision to focus on the silvers proved to be the right one since I am now leading the silvers league.

1. 156-13 - Bob Gullick (Mosella) - p13
2. 129-14 - Nick Duckett (Lands End) - p7
3. 106- 9 - Steve Hutter (Garbolino) - p15
4. 78-11 - Rod Wootten (Lands End) - p55
5. 71- 1 - Andy Hembrow - p32
6. 58- 8 - Martin Rayet (Bristol) - p31
Silvers
1. 16- 8 - Mike Duckett (Bristol) - p41
2. 14-12 - Andy Hembrow - p32
3. 6-12 - Ken Rayner (Colmic) - p20
4. 6-10 - Emma Drysdale (Legacy Tackle) - p68
5. 5- 8 - Gary O'Shea (Preston) - p61
6. 4-12 - Bob Gullick (Mosella) - p13

League Tables below 





No comments: