Monday 27 February 2017

25/02/17 - Viaduct - Campbell

Weight - 11lb 4oz
Catch - 23 Roach, 12 Skimmers, 2 Perch, 1 Skimmer
Weather - Windy, cloudy with some rain
Match - Open - 2nd out of 19 - silvers

With 19 booked in, there would be 16 on Campbell and 3 on Cary. I really wanted to be on Campbell, because I would be on the same lake in tomorrows Winter League.

P115 wasn't a good start, because it has shown very little form for carp or silvers and coupled with the wind which was blowing up the lake a tricky day was likely. It just seems I cant draw on the carp at the moment, since all my recent pick ups have been on the silvers.

As we were setting up there was a lot of fish showing themselves in the more sheltered end around the aerator and that's were I expected the winner to come from.

On the all in 3 balls of groundbait with some caster was deposited at 11m at a slight angle to my left and I started on the tip with meat, then corn and finally prawn, but after 45 mins no fish. In fact except for p119 no one had a carp at this end of the lake.

A switch to fishing maggot over the groundbait didn't produce a bite - oh dear. fortunately I managed a small roach over loose fed caster at 13m, were I caught a few more, before switching to caster which produced a slightly larger roach, but they were becoming a pain. I kept messing about with my feed, finding it best to pot in small amounts of caster and I started to pick up some better sized fish.

The wind was also becoming an issue. I really wanted to push longer to 14m, but the wind simply wouldn't allow me. A switch to heavier rig, fished double bulk proved decisive catching 2 big perch and a skimmer, but presentation was far from prefect.

As the match drew to a close I felt I was probably winning the silvers although the angler on 128 had caught a couple of big skimmers. So losing a tench at the net was very frustrating, but my timing could have been better as Dave White and Dave Romain who were stood behind me offered little sympathy as I let out a few expletive.

Any thoughts of winning overall though were thwarted because Emma Drysdale on 81 had caught some big hybrids and tench by the monk. That's about the 6th or 7th time I come 2nd in the silvers at viaduct in the last 10 months.

I felt I didn't get most out of the swim due to wind, but relieved to at least pick up another brown envelope.

1. 110- 0 - Nick Ewers (Preston) - p77
2. 84-11 - Phil Penslow - p111
3. 69-12 - Matt Hall (Dynamite Baits) - p112
4. 64-12 - Lenny Terry (Viaduct) - p130
5. 64-12 - Ben Hagg (Guru) - p129
6. 55- 5 - Roland Lucas (Preston) - p132
Silvers
1. 20- 7 - Emma Drysdale (Legacy Tackle) - p81
2. 11- 4 - Ken Rayner (Colmic) - p115
3. 10-11 - T Burrell - p128

No comments: