Saturday 23 July 2016

22/07/16 - Rood Ashton

Weight - 33lb 4oz
Catch - 8 Carp
Weather - Warm, sunny evening
Match - Airsprung AC - 6th out of 10

At last a warm sunny evening at Rood Ashton, however the fishing didn't live up to expectation.

When we arrived there were a number of pleasure anglers dotted around the lake and pegs had to be put in around them. No big deal as there was plenty of space, but everyone wanted peg 1 by the carp park, because there were a lot of fish moving around, probably helped by the breeze blowing into this end of the lake. Failing that anywhere on this bank would do, because most of the recent matches had been won along here.

The draw put me on p7 which today was on the top bank between the trees, which didn't have much of a margin as you can see from the photos, however it was a good peg.

After my last visit, I came armed with groundbait and meat again, feeding groundbait down the right hand margin and meat to my left under the trees.


Starting under the tree using a large toss of meat, I had my first carp after 10mins. Although I had no further bites, I wasn't concerned initially because the first hour can be slow, however I didn't net my 2nd carp for an hour. In fact no one seemed to be catching much, the lake had completely switched off.

Well that wasn't strictly true because the 2 pleasure anglers to my right on the other side of trees were fishing the lead using floating crusts, a hooklength 3 times the depth of the lake and buzzers! I could here the slurp, slurp, slurp of the carp trying to whittle down the lump of bread, before hooking themselves and the buzzers going off - loudly!!!

Back to my peg and I kept feeding groundbait down the right hand margin on my top 3, but cut back when it became obvious the fishing was going to be hard. I had a couple of fish from the right, but the majority came from my left were I was just feeding meat.

I also set up a new swim at 13m, however without success. I really was turning into a hard match.

The problem I had as lost fish. I think most of them were hooked properly, but with strong elastic (16 dura hollow) to pull the fish from the snags and lightly hooked fish I pulled out of a few. This point was evidenced when I landed a 7lber, when the hooked pulled just as I netted the fish. They really weren't having it properly.

Must admit I was glad to hear the final whistle and most of the best weights came from the car park bank.

1st 48- 0 - Ian Willetts - p9
2nd 47- 8 - Mark Poppleton - p4
3rd 40- 4 - Rich Whitmarsh - p3
4th 39- 4 - Tom Ince - p2
5th 37- 0 - Steve Martin - p5

No comments: