Monday 11 July 2016

10/07/16 - Lands End - Match

Weight - 157lb 4oz
Catch - 28 Carp, 5 Roach, 3 Skimmers, 1 Hybrid
Weather - Warm, humid & occasional shower
Match - Club - 1st out of 9

Another disappointing turn out for my club, but thanks to Ade Crawley for guesting bolstering our numbers by one. Due to the poor attendances I cancelled our other away matches and haven't booked any matches for next year. A real shame, but there is no point organising matches if they aren't going to be supported.



Back to today's match, it was down to me to sort out the pegs and draw. I ended up with the last peg being peg 5, which has been a noted silvers area. With no silverfish pool today, it was certainly not my first choice, however on arrival there were loads on carp on the surface in most swims.

I've recently struggled to catch carp from the islands at Lands End and today was an ideal opportunity to sort out my approach and feed. Watching Trigger and Tony who are the best at this style of fishing, both make it look easy which is frustrating. So rigs for today were a long line/swinger rig, a conventional shallow rig to fish the top shelf of the island as well as slap for any passing fish, a light pellet rig to fish 2+2 left and right and finally a meat rig to fish left and right down the margins.

I started long lining for the many carp showing themselves, but only managed 1 before they started to shy away beyond pole range. A try tight to the island only produced liners and 2 lost foul hookers and after 40mins I was getting a little frustrated.

Therefore decided to switch to my 2+2 lines where I had been feeding 4s, fishing a banded 6mm, whilst catapulting pellet to the island hoping the fish would settle. The short line proved to be a bit of bonus with 3 big skimmers and 3 carp.

After a slight adjustment to my shallow rig I started to catch slapping at the groups of carp that were swimming past, even managing one on my top 3. As the match progressed I kept feeding pellet by the island where the fish became more settled and by alternating between the island and slapping at passing fish I kept catching.

The last hour was a bit disappointing as I switched to the meat down each margin, hoping for better sized fish, but only caught 3, losing a further 3.

Overall happy to have sorted out a few things, which should give me a bit of confidence next time.

1st - 157- 4 - Ken Rayner - p5
2nd - 62- 1 - Ade Crawley - p18
3rd - 59- 0 - Glenn Putterill - p13
4th - 47- 7 - Andy Lord - p11

No comments: