Monday 4 July 2016

02/07/16 - Lands End - Match

Weight - 60lb 9oz
Catch - 12 Carp, 2 Roach, 1 Ide, 1 Tench
Weather - Mostly sunny & gusty wind
Match - Open - 5th out of 10

I was only here a few weeks ago, but with all the rain the bankside foliage had grown on. Speaking to Mike over breakfast, it looks like this will his last year doing the shows, something about getting too old for it. For all of this week he is Hampton Court. He also mentioned that hopefully there will be an injection of silvers during the autumn, just in time for the Winter League.

As for today the sun was shining and the forecast was for a dry day - well that would make a pleasant change.

My home for the day was peg 7, which I reasonable pleased with. My intention was to target the carp, but there is always the chance of silvers from this peg. I was also using today as a bit of a practice for tomorrows Float Only series and wanted to try a few different things including the use of groundbait.

Next to me p5 was Russ Peck and we were both quite pleased to see carp moving up and down the island. On the all in I went straight over to the island fishing and catapulting 6s. After 30mins I had 3 carp and a tench, before it became difficult.

I tried fishing meat over the pellet which didn't work, I cupped groundbait in by the reed bed on the island but only managed 1 carp, it was proving to be really frustrating. Russ was having the same issues and trying different ways for feeding, but we would only catch the odd the fish and not necessarily in the mouth.

A switch to fishing soft pellet down the track over 4s only produced a small roach. Fishing double caster to the right hand pallet over caster/meat only produced a roach and a carp.  My early lead was soon eroded and I was going no where fast.

Since the majority seemed to be struggling for bites, decided to stick with fishing various points along the island. Russ and I were matching each other fish for fish and the last hour was definitely the best, but by the end we both thought we would struggle to make the frame today.

My 60lb ended up being the best weight on this side of the lake, although it could have been more if it wasn't for an unseen snag claiming a couple of my fish, however the other side of the lake proved to be the place to be.

1st - 86-8 - Mark Walsh - p13
2nd - 83- 0 - Rod Wootton - p24
3rd - 74- 6 - Eric Fouracre - p19
4th - 67- 1 - Rich Heatley - p21
5th - 60- 9 - Ken Rayner - p7
Silvers
1st - 24-10 - Eric Fouracre - p19
2nd - 20-12 - Tony Thick - p1
3rd - 10- 8 - Rich Lovering - p3

No comments: