Monday 4 July 2016

03/07/16 - Lands End - Match

Weight - 47lb 6oz (28lb 10oz - silvers)
Catch - 17 Roach, 15 Perch, 11 Skimmers, 4 Carp, 1 Hybrid, 1 Rudd
Weather - Warm & sunny
Match - Float Only - rd 3 - 4th out of 5 section, 2nd out of 41 - silvers

The 3rd round of the Float Only Series and after my poor draw last round I could do with a good draw to put me back in contention. Initially I was happy enough with p21, that was until I saw who was in my section Paul Elmes on p18, Trigger on p19 and Tony Rixon on p24 – section of death! With fish moving around in front of Paul and Trigger I thought we were all fishing for 3rd section.

However, I had to be positive because I really needed a decent section result. Starting across by the island on paste, I had 1 carp, but nothing else. I deliberately didn’t feed anything other than the paste and few 6s hoping the carp would zero in on the target bait. All I got was loads of liners and no proper bites. A switch to pellet resulted in 2 hooked fish, both of which came off. This was getting frustrating.

After 45mins I decided to dump a cup of pellet by the island to see whether that would settle them. In the meantime Paul had got off to a flyer and Trigger wasn’t far behind. A switch to fishing 6mm banded pellet at 4 sections to my right over 4s soon resulted in a decent skimmer, quickly followed by another. In fact over the next 45mins/hour I had 9 skimmers up to 3lb, plus a few roach, by switching left and right at 4 sections. Nearly 20lb of silvers put me back in the race for section, but bites started to dry up.

A switch back to the island and I still struggled to get a proper bite. All the time I was falling further behind Trigger and Paul, and any thoughts of doing well in the section had all but evaporated.

So at the half way point, I had a decision to make, keep trying for carp, which I felt would turn up and settle later in the match albeit too late or stick with the silvers and hope for a pick up. An easy decision in the end.

My short pellet swims produced another decent skimmer, but with no further bites, I decide to switch to feeding caster and set up a new rig. I soon caught small perch and roach on single caster, plus another skimmer, but it was hard going.

A new pellet swim was set up at 6m, which produced 2 carp, but no skimmers. A further 2 more swims where started by the pallet to my left and at 11m, but neither produced any of those now elusive skimmers. I knew both Allan Oram on p6 and Matt Tomes on p7 had caught silvers and hoped I had done enough.

Allan was first to weigh and there was no way I had 35lb. Matt was second weighing 27lb. I thought I had at least 25lb so knew it would be close. As it turned out those small caster fish turned out to be invaluable beating Matt into 2nd by 1lb 4oz.

An enjoyable, if not a little frustrating day. Trigger won the match again. Have to say watching him fish, he makes it look so easy which is a little annoying! Although he did struggle with the island foliage.

1st - 206- 6 - Craig Edmunds - p19
2nd - 144- 4 - Neil Mercer - p1
3rd - 127-11 - Paul Elmes - p18
4th - 126- 3 - Joe McMahon - p11
5th - 113- 5 - Tony Rixon - p24
6th - 108-13 - Steve Tucker - p16
Silvers
1st - 35-10 - Allan Oram - p6
2nd - 28-10 - Ken Rayner - p21
3rd - 27- 6 - Matt Tomes - p7
4th - 17-15 - Paul Faires - p39
5th - 17- 0 - John Fuidge - p34
6th - 14- 6 - Martin Rayet - p45

No comments: