Sunday 8 May 2016

07/05/16 - Viaduct - Cary

Weight - 91lb 15oz (15lb - silvers)
Catch - 7 Carp, 15 Skimmers, 1 Perch
Weather - Warm & sunny!
Match - Open - 15th out of 31 (6th out of 15 - Cary)

As some of you know I recently replaced my Matrix with an Octbox and have to say I am so impressed with it. Its strong, comfortable, the telescopic legs don't slip and are easy to adjust. You can also open the drawers whilst still sitting, which was a major irritation with my matrix. Really cant recommend it highly enough. Having looked at couple of other more expensive boxes the build quality of the octbox is also far superior. Well worth a look if you are considering a change.

Today I really fancied a draw on Campbell, because I've yet to draw it this year. However 86 was my home for the day, which I had to smile about, having won from 87 on Monday. In fact my last 4 draws on Cary has been 88, 85, 87 and now 86. Unsurprisingly I got a few draw bag comments.

My only concern was the pegs along this bank didn't feature in Thursday's open and what breeze there was blowing down towards 109.

To be honest I had a bit of a struggle. On the all in I had a few casts on the pellet waggler, hoping to mug some of the fish showing themselves on the surface in the middle of lake. After 10mins and no indication I tried the 2+3 meat line. I was soon attached to beast which tore off before parting company leaving me with a big scale. 10mins later I netted a 16lber hooked properly, followed by 2 skimmers before the line died. And that's how my match went, catch a few before having to switch, I just couldn't put a run of fish together and looking around I wasn't the only one.

After 2hrs and still only 1 carp in the net and a handful of silvers, decided to feed some 6s and a few 8s at 14m. When I switched to fishing 8mm pellet over toss potted 6s, I started catching some proper skimmers, but no carp and as soon as the ripple disappeared so did the fish. I kept the swim topped up, but never caught anything bigger than a few hand size skimmers.

Back on the lead & pellet, I had 3 carp in as many casts, before that died. Fishing down the margins only produced bites from silvers. As for the short meat line, I had tried it a couple times without success, until 45mins from the end, when I landed a 15lber, but bizarrely after that the swim was full of small fish nibbling at the meat.

A frustrating day, when Campbell fished better than Cary. Roy Worth next to me on p85 won our lake, catching the majority of his fish, casting into the corner where there was much more ripple. The other weights around me and opposite were all very similar so I cant be too disappointed. I should have caught more, but doubt I had a chance of framing.

1st 248- 4 - Norman Sterry - p110
2nd 204- 4 - Steve Tucker -p114
3rd 196-15 - Ben Hagg - p112
4th 168-10 - Roy Worth - p85
5th 167- 0 - Jim Morrison - p102
6th 136-15 - Mike Walker - p125

Silvers
1st 39- 2 - James Rock - p111
2nd 29- 2 - Neil Bebbington - p81
3rd 22-12 - Allan Oram - p130
4th 22-10 - Nigel Easton - p100
5th 19- 4 - Steve Rolfe - p129

No comments: