Tuesday 3 May 2016

02/05/16 - Viaduct - Cary

Weight - 156lb 10oz (9lb 12oz - silvers)
Catch - 15 Carp, 8 Skimmers, 4 Perch, 2 Tench, 1 Hybrid
Weather - Sunny start, heavy rain then sunny again
Match - Open - 1st out of 35

I had originally wanted to fish Harescombe for a few bites, but they were fully booked so switched my attentions to Viaduct. I had fished Thursdays costcutter weighing 84lb from peg 85 for 10th overall, but felt I should have done better, particularly in the last hour, when I lost a munter which snapped the line around the float eye and then I tangled my second rig! Only 104lb was required to frame.

Todays match was split over Cary (20 anglers) and Lodge (15 anglers), since Wiltshire Angling were on Campbell. I was near the head of the queue allowing Chris Fox to drew first. What happened next had everyone diving for cover, whilst trying very hard not to laugh. Chris's toys were thrown very far from the pram as he had the prospect of spending the next 6hrs on p55 - again. Instead he spent the day on Match Lake, leaving a grateful Mark Wynne on p56 to catch in front of p55!

As for me p87 would be my home, with Paul Homewood on p88 and a lodge resident on p86, so a little cosy. The good news was the wind blowing into our bank and I fancied for a few fish.

On the drive down I realised I forgot my float rods, fortunately the wind was quite strong so it was unlikely I would have needed them. Rigs for the day was a lead rod to fish meat or pellet, plus 3 pole rigs to fish pellet long for skimmers, a short meat line and a throw away line by the right hand bush fed with the unopened 2pts of caster from 2 days ago.

On the all in I started on the short meat line rig hoping for a mug fish, which never turned up. However it did mean I could watch where everyone was casting and feeding. 20 mins later I cast into a quite area of the lake and soon had a 15lb carp. The chap to my right already had 2 fish and Fred Roberts on 94 had also started catching.

Staying on the lead either with meat or pellet I typically had to wait 10mins for a bite. If I didn't get one after 15mins, 3 pouches of 11mm pellet was fed before switching to the pole for 10mins.

The long pellet line was soon binned due to the awkward wind. The caster swim produced a few silvers, but nothing bigger than 8oz. The meat line only produced 2 big skimmers but I didn't waste too much time on it since the lead was still producing. 

With 45mins my 4th try on the caster only produced a small skimmer, so it got 3 handfuls of caster. 15mins later and no fish on the lead I tried the caster swim again and soon netted a 10lb common.

With 30mins Fred had slowed up a bit and felt I was in with a chance of framing. 15mins left I landed another carp on the lead. 3 more handfuls of caster was fed by the bush on the off chance I could catch another carp, but knew it was unlikely I would have time to cast out for another. And that's how it turned out. I landed a 6lber with 2mins to go. In the last 2mins I had a decent hybrid, followed by a similar sized perch over the caster. I didn't realise how important those caster fish would be until the weigh in, as I won the match by 6oz!

1st 156-10 - Ken Rayner - p87
2nd 156- 4 - Dave White - p80
3rd 146-10 - Fred Roberts - p94
4th 136-10 - Chris Boulton - p99
5th 132- 2 - Alan Boulton - p86
6th 129- 9 - Mark Wynne - p56



Silvers
1st 26- 4 - Paul Blake - p69
2nd 25- 9 - Nigel Bartlett - p74
3rd 21- 8 - Jamie Parkhouse - p61 

No comments: