Tuesday 3 May 2016

01/05/16 - Lands End - Johns no3 Lake

Weight - 60lb 8oz
Catch - 15 Carp
Weather - Bright start, but mostly cloudy with light showers
Match - Open - 11th out of 28 (6th out of 14 - lake)

With 28 booked in there were 14 anglers on Match and no3 lakes. I didn't mind which I drew, but wasn't particularly happy to see 65 staring back at me. It's not usually used and as you can see from the photo there are reeds on either side, which meant any thoughts of fishing for silvers were discounted. Light elastics and carp wasn't an option, so carp or bust.
Since the depth was fairly uniform all over the peg, I only needed a couple of rigs, one for pellet, another for meat and finally a riot rig to fish by the reeds.
Starting across on the point of the island toss potting meat, I eventually hooked a carp which promptly took me into the left hand reeds snagging me. Some how I managed to untangle the rig, much to the amusement of the anglers around me, however I had the last laugh when I eventually landed the fish - result!

The carp by the island were being incredibly cute and I only managed 1 more on 6mm pellet, plus a small carp on meat by the reeds on the 2 hour mark.

Kev Molton and Rod Wootten opposite were also struggling, whilst Martin Alexander on 66 was catching a few silvers.

So far I had resisted going down my right margin, because it would mean standing up to see over the reeds, but with no bites from anywhere else felt I had no choice so started pinging 6s in preparation. Fishing an 8mm pellet, this proved to be the most productive area, however being so close to a bush, meant I lost a couple pulling too hard in an attempt to keep them away from the snags.

Needless to say one carp (and the smallest) was too quick getting tangled in the branches of the bush, which necessitated walking round to the bush to retrieve my rig. Surprisingly the fish was still attached and after freeing my rig the carp was soon landed.

I managed a few more carp from the swim and was really hoping to catch some better fish on the meat by the reeds. With 45mins to go I hooked an 8lber, which got itself snagged in the reeds, however whilst trying to free the carp I snapped my no4 section as I went to sit back down on my seatbox, this distraction was enough for the carp to make a successful bid for freedom. I wasn't happy!

I managed a couple more fish from the right hand margin, but doubted it would be enough today. Even taking into account the lost fish I may have struggled to pick up.

To add insult to injury I managed to jam a top kit onto another no4 section, which also snapped whilst 3 of us tried freeing it. It was properly stuck.

A rather expensive day and I don't wish to see peg 65 again.

1st 103- 4 - Gary O'Shea - p16
2nd 102- 0 - Tom Mangnall - p61
3rd 90-14 - Paul Faires - p70
4th 87- 8 - Bob Gullick - p41
5th 85- 5 - Tim Clark - p15
6th 83-15 - Leon Hubbard - p13

Silvers
1st 25- 4 - John Fuidge - p8
2nd 19-12 - Tony Rixon - p20
3rd 16-12 - Joe McMahon - p42
4th 15-11 - Martin Alexander - p66

No comments: