Monday 27 July 2015

25/07/15 - Lands End - Match

Weight - 35lb (5lb 8oz - silvers)
Catch - 7 Carp, 2 Perch 1 F1, 1 Skimmer
Weather - Sunny, but windy
Match - Open - 11th out of 14 (4th in silvers)

Yesterday's weather was very wet and the lakes received a much needed top up. At least it was dry today.

Peg 3 again for me. Really not the best peg, however it has some recent form, when Ryan Shipp framed last week using chopped worm and caster, which raised my hopes a little, although I couldn't see many fish moving around. The expectation was yesterday's heavy rain would have lowered the water temperature unsettling the fish.

I didn't have time to buy any caster and Mike didn't have any, meant I was going to have to rely on meat, pellet and paste, which should have simplified my match.

Although it was dry today, a strong breeze was blowing straight down the lake, which would make fishing paste to the island a pain, so decided to feed meat and hemp. Whilst that settled I started down my right by the lily's on paste and was soon attached to a carp, which promptly snagged me in the lily's. Unfortunately in my efforts to extract the carp I snapped my no6 section - not a great start to the day.

10mins later I manage a decent carp on paste, but no more followed so switched to the far side hoping to bag up. Well it simple didn't happen. The meat across only produced 2 perch and a F1, I tried pellet and paste, but couldn't get a proper bite. The carp just weren't getting their heads down.

Tom Mangnall on P1 was picking up a few fish my slapping a pellet around and Vince Shipp on P5 had caught a couple of fish, but no one was running away with it.

To be honest I became a little preoccupied trying to catch carp, partly because I thought I would be too far behind to claim a silvers payout. As it turned out the silvers weren't feeding either with only 10lb needed to 2nd in silvers.

The island only produced 1 carp on paste. The left margin where I had been feeding pellet produced only 1 carp on 6mm pellet, but it was my 6m meat line which produced the bulk of my fish.

A difficult day and I just wish I had brought some caster or at least concentrated on soft pellet to put together a net of silvers. As it happened I was 1 out of the money (for the silvers) for the 3rd time in the last 4 matches.

1st 133- 0 - Ryan Shipp - p13 (chopped worm & caster)
2nd 98-15 - Dave Wescott - p19 (paste)
3rd 76- 2 - Adrian Jeffery - p15
4th 63-13 - Rod Wootton - p11
5th 62-14 - Tom Mangnall - p1
6th 46- 2 - Vince Shipp - p5

Silvers
1st 19- 0 - Ryan Shipp - p13
2nd 13- 6 - Eric Fouracre - p24
3rd 10- 3 - Rich Lovering - p21



No comments: