Monday 20 July 2015

18/07/15 - Fishponds

Weight - 75lb
Catch - 14 Carp
Weather - Mostly sunny and windy
Match - 8th out of 10

Today was a lead/feeder rod only afternoon/evening match at my club water. Not being a fan of this style of fishing, I don't normally fish these matches, preferring to watch a float going under rather than a tip rod pulling round. However, because I needed to sort a few things out Saturday morning I decided to book in.

On arrival Joe Thompson was 'delighted' to see me - he obviously received the letter from his insurers informing him that my insurers are taking legal action to recover the costs of his very minor collision with my car. Fortunately I drew the other side of the side, so didn't need the ear defenders.

Peg 16 put me in the far corner with the wind off my back. Its a peg I don't particularly like, because its quite snaggy close in and your options are quite limited. So I wasn't bursting with enthusiasm and already regretting the decision to fish. However, it wasn't raining which a pleasant change - every cloud....

Setting up didn't take long. 1 lead rod and 1 method to fish left and right down each bank. Bait was 8mm or 11mm pellet, so very simple.

4 carp in the first hour, followed but only 1 in the second, meant I was falling behind those I could see, but I just didn't get the feeling there was any volume of fish in front of me, so just kept piling in the pellet hoping to draw a few fish in. This did work, but the problem was the snags. I had all my fish down the right bank on the lead towards a partially sunken tree. Assuming I managed to pull the fish away from the tree, it was a case of making sure I avoided the other snags on the way in. In total I lost 8 fish, which may have been enough to frame, but my average stamp of fish was just 5lb, compared to the usual 7lbers.

Well done to Dave who won his first Glenfall AC match with 200lb.

1st 204- 5 - Dave Bradley - p20
2nd 162- 1 - Brian Gilbert - p6
3rd 144- 8 - Glenn Putterill - p12
4th 118- 4 - Andy Bradley - p25
5th 111-14 - Nick Jordell - p7
6th 103-10 - Eddie Long - p1

No comments: