Monday 6 July 2015

04/07/15 - Lands End - Match Lake

Weight - 104lb 1oz
Catch - 21 Carp, 3 Skimmers, 3 Perch, 2 F1s, 2 Roach
Weather - Warm & sunny
Match - Open - 2nd out of 14

Beginning to feel a lot better about my fishing now following a section win last weekend and a PB weight on Wednesday, However, it's easy to understand why some anglers threaten to quit whilst on a poor run.

Entering the draw with a positive mind set and drew p19 which is not always a winning peg, but usually very consistent and I was looking forward to a good day.

Since I haven't been here for a few weeks, asking around what's working, the reply came back pellet, pellet and more pellet. What about paste or meat? No, no one has really caught on it. Sod it, I mixed up some paste and cut up 2 tins of meat any way, simply because this a tricky time of the year with the fish coming off the back of spawning and may possibly going at it again.

A number rigs were set up to target the island with paste or pellet, plus a couple rigs for down the track for meat and a silvers rig just in case.

Starting across to the island with paste whilst everyone was still feeding I caught my first fish after 15mins, shortly followed by another, before they went skittish swimming through the peg pulling the rig out of the paste. A switch to pellet produced a couple more fish, but it was very difficult to get a proper bite. Just ask Jamie Parkhouse on p21, who I thought was running away with the match, however very few of the fish hooked were actually landed.

A switch to fishing down the track over micros & 4s with a banded 6 would I hope produce a few skimmers whilst the carp settled back down. It proved to be hard work in the bright conditions catching only 1 skimmer and a roach. Rising bubbles revealed there were a few fish feeding, so tried worm instead which did improve things with a couple of F1s and skimmers, but it was still slow going. A 2nd back up pellet swim to my right didn't produce anything and since we were now half way though the match I needed a rethink.

A pot of hemp & meat down the track transformed my match. After picking off a couple more fish from the island, the meat line produced 13 carp in the last 2hrs, which was a nice way to finish the match. I still thought Jamie had beaten me, but he had continue to lose fish throughout the match and I was fairly sure I beaten the anglers on my side of the lake.

On the all out the grapevine suggested that as well as James Withers on P1 catching late and Lewis Jones on p3 catching all match, Mike Duckett (p8) and Ray White (p11) had also caught well, however this turned out to be a bit of wind up.

1st 155- 5 - Lewis Jones - p3
2nd 104- 1 - Ken Rayner - p19
3rd 96- 3 - James Withers - p1
4th 85- 4 - Rich Lovering - p13
5th 59- 8 - Jamie Parkhouse - p21
6th 57- 6 - Ray White - p11

Silvers
1st 19-14 - Andy Hembrow - p6
2nd 18-10 - Rod Wootton - p5
3rd 13- 0 - Mike Duckett - p8

No comments: