Saturday 29 November 2014

29/11/14 - Lands End - Match

Weight - 35lb 15oz (14lb 6oz - silvers)
Catch - 6 Carp, 11 Roach, 6 Perch, 4 F1, 4 Skimmers, 1 Rudd
Weather - Bright & sunny
Match - Open - 5th out of 8, 2nd - silvers

After the usual good breakfast at Shipham, I arrived in plenty of time for the draw. 2 weeks ago Tony Rixon had said he would fish, but speaking to him mid week revealed he couldn't make it. Something about not be able to do too much fishing. Sounds like Judith is getting used to him being home and with so much DIY to catch up on - lol

Must admit I was quite happy with peg 20 and at least the water level on match lake is filling up a little, but still a long way short of its normal level. As I was setting up there was very little moving around and the water was a clearer, following a couple of frosty nights this week.

Regardless I decided to start across in the hope of an early carp, but after 30mins, I only had 1x lost foul hooked fish. I probably gave it15mins too long, because I did have a few liners, but nothing developed. As it turned out this was the only time I spent fishing across.

In the meantime I fed caster to my left under P19 platform, 4s/micros left and right at the bottom of the far shelf. The left side proved to be the most productive fishing a HB frostie 0.3g > .10 > 18 silverfish pellet & 4mm expander, catching a couple of carp, F1s and small skimmers. I had been toss potting bait, but decided to start catapulting 4s to my right instead, which resulted in my best skimmer.

Under the P19 platform, produced a couple of perch including a near 2lber on caster or prawn (yes they are back!).

With 2hrs left my swim faded and all I could catch was roach, even on 6mm pellet, which was a bit frustrating and never a good sign that there are bigger fish in the swim. I think the issue was there was too many spaces for the fish to back off into. As the afternoon wore on a few carp started to show themselves in the gap between the island and in front of the vacant p22. 

Moving back down under p19 platform I managed a couple more perch, but nothing from under p21 platform.

I eventually caught a couple more carp over the loose fed pellet, but it was all a little too late and my carp were on the small side which is unusual for this area of the lake.

1st 125-15 - Andy Hembrow - p2
2nd 48- 9 - Mike West - p13
3rd 37- 9 - Dave Wescott - p11
4th 37- 8 - Ray White - p24
5th 35-15 - Ken Rayner - p20
6th 33- 6 - Adrian Jefferies - p15

Silvers
1st 19- 8 - Nigel Bartlett - p18
2nd 14- 6 - Ken Rayner - p20
3rd 13- 2 - Mike West - p13

No comments: