Monday 1 December 2014

30/11/14 - Lands End - Match

Weight - 65lb 13oz (8lb 4oz - silvers)
Catch - 13 Carp, 3 Perch, 3 Roach, 2 F1s, 1 Skimmer, 1 Tench
Weather - Mild, bright & sunny
Match - Open - 7th out of 19



Todays match was organised by Mark Poppleton as a practice open for next weeks Winter League. With 19 eventually turning up we were spread over Match and Speci, and I fancied a day on Speci, mainly because its been a while since I last fished it. However I wasn't disappointed to see p15 in my hand. Also with 10 on the lake it was expected to fish better than yesterday.

For company I had John Bradford on p18 and Mark on p13. Although recent results from peg haven't been brilliant, its a peg that usually produces a few carp and that was to be my focus today.


On the all in a small amount 4s/micros were deposited at the bottom of the far shelf at an angle to my right and at 5m. Also cupped some caster by the p16 platform. Since the water looked a little clearer I decided to start fishing corn (Ackoo carbon carrrat 0.2g > .12 > 18 B911) in the deepest part of the peg, to my left at 14m, toss potting a few 4s and corn.

Over the next 70mins I managed 4 carp, a decent tench and an F1. Mark in the meantime also had a few carp including 2 munters for over 20lb, which meant Mark was ahead of me on weight (no jokes necessary).

Looking down the lake, it looked like Mike Duckett (p20) and Chris Fox (p24) had also caught, but like Mark and I, it had slowed up. The bright flat conditions weren't helping.

A switch to the right at 14m only produced bites from roach pecking at the pellet and down by the platform only yielded a couple of perch.

I had setup a pellet rig (SM slim 0.2g > .12 > 18 B911) to fish 6mm pellet across by the island, but plumbing up revealed only a foot of water, so I didn't expect to catch here. However, after seeing some movement by the island I decided to catapult some 4s across and was soon attached to a carp.

After a further 3 carp followed, before they disappeared, but kept catapulting pellet and caught the rest of my carp later on. Unfortunately the remainder of my lines failed to produce anything of significance, although in hindsight I think I over fed my right hand swims when I should have kept my feed neat & tidy.

During the last hour, Mike had a run of carp, fishing across to the island and looked like to win our side of the lake. As for Mark & I, I thought he had beaten me thanks to his 2 munters, but Mark thought I had beaten him because I had a couple more carp. In the end Mark had the verdict (67lb 14oz) and didn't he enjoy that!

Overall Match fished better than Speci and Mike won the match overall with 93lb 15oz from the peg I had (rested) yesterday. I don't have the full results because the photo I took of that section sheet was too blurry to read.

The good news is we now have 36 for the Winter League and plenty of new faces, which is nice to see. It should be a good series and I am certainly looking forward to it.

No comments: