Friday 26 December 2014

21/12/14 - Todber -Park Lake

Weight - 6lb 6oz
Catch - 12 Roach, 3 F1, 1 Skimmer, 1 Carp
Weather - Overcast and windy
Match - Winter League - rd 4 - Last in section!

And so to Sundays Match. The 4th and final round of this series and I was lying 2nd overall, just needing a section 3rd to guarantee an overall pay out. My section would run from p13 to p20 and instead of a 6 man section, it had been reduced to a 5 man section, due to a number of drop outs. As a result Mark had to re-peg the lake to ensure there weren't too many large gaps. Ideally I wanted either p13 or p14 which have been the boss pegs, however p16 was definitely not what I wanted. Other than p19 which had been removed for todays match this was the worst performing peg in the section. Then Gary O'Shea, subbing for Steve Tucker drew p13 and Roland Lucas was on p14, which for me was the worst case scenario.

Well I'm not going to go into too much detail, but suffice to say I had a mare. Starting across I foul hooked a carp 1st put in, which came off as it got close to the net, but at least it gave me hope there was at least a few fish in the area. However, I had to wait 30mins for my first fish an F1.

In the meantime Roly started catching, as did Gary and with an hour gone and still only a F1 in the net the writing was on the wall as far as the section was concerned. However the much needed 3rd in section was possible.

For an hour I fished maggot tight to the island, quite happy to catch the small roach, if it meant pulling a few better fish later, but the swim just faded and no decent fish showed.

In a swim that seemed devoid of fish, I started pinging 4s across in the hope of pulling some of roly's fish for later in the match, but only had 1 small carp.

Down the track produced a couple of F1s, but the carp just wouldn't move down from Gary & Roly.

In the meantime Clint on p18 had a couple of carp, as had Dave on p20. I just seemed to be in a dead zone and finished the match with only 6lb and last in section. If I could have managed to beat just one person in section I would have claimed 4th overall in the league, but had to settle for 5th on a weight count back, losing out to Roly who had the benefit of a big weight from p28 in round 2.

Disappointed would be an understatement, which meant I finished the weekend 1 out of the overall league pay outs in 2 leagues on weight back. In the series I didn't have the best draws, p26, p32, p11 and p16, but excluding the last match was pleased with how the league went.

Well done to Ash for comfortably winning the league in the end. Also thanks to Mark and Nick (well mainly Mark, because Nick turned up 5mins before the draw, although he only lives 10mins away) for organising the league. It was a shame the fishing was so patchy.

1st 111- 9 - Allan Oram - p5
2nd 99- 0 - Ash Tomkins - p37
3rd 61- 6 - Mark Wynne - p35
4th 50-10 - Gary O'Shea - p13
5th 47-14 - Dan White - p22
6th 47- 0 - Roland Lucas - p14

Final League Positions
1st Ashley Tompkins - 5.5pts
2nd Steve Tucker - 8pts
3rd Calum Craig - 9pts
4th Roland Lucas - 10pts (220-13)
5th Ken Rayner - 10pts (153-14)
6th Allan Oram - 11pts (271-5)
7th Dan White - 11pts (200-6)
8th Fred Roberts - 11(199-6)

No comments: