Monday 24 November 2014

23/11/14 - Todber Manor - Park Lake

Weight - 51lb 10oz
Catch - 14 Carp, 2 F1s, 2 Roach, 2 Perch, 1 Gudgeon
Weather - Rainy start, clearing later and becoming colder
Match - Winter League - rd 3 - 6th out of 24, 1st in section

I was looking forward to todays match, but was also little apprehensive. I was lying 6th in the league, but there was 5 of us on 4pts, which meant there would be winners and losers in terms of league position. I would be in A section, pegs 1-11 and with the colder weather the pegs up the arm where to be avoided. Fortunately I did that, drawing p11, but to be honest would have preferred p7 or p9. Roly drew p7, Daryl Falleto was on p9 and Steve Tucker got unlucky with p3.

Having drawn p11 a few weeks ago I didn't get the best out of the peg mainly due to a strong wind and today the northerly breeze was a lot lighter, if not a little colder, which meant I could fish the far bank at 16m a little more comfortably.

Only 3 rigs for today
- SM slim 0.2g > .12 > 18 B911 (hair rig pellet/corn across)
- SM chimp 0.3g > .12 > 18 B911 (down the track)
- Ackoo Carrat 0.3g > .14 > 16 B911 (meat down the track)

My intention was to concentrate on pellet, fishing maggot if needed. With a little spare time before the start I also cut up some meat, because for what ever reason some anglers are still catching on it. After feeding some micros & 4s at 5m and 12m, I started straight across on corn toss potting a few 4s. 5mins later I had my first carp, which was a relief.

After the first hour I hooked 6 carp, but lost 3 which were foul hooked. Moving to 12m produced another carp and a F1 on 4mm expander and a few small silvers on maggot, as did the 5m line. I  kept switching lines and managed to snag a couple more carp from the island on 6mm pellet, catapulting 4s and later 6s across.

At the half way point decided to bin the short pellet line and started feeding meat instead. As for the 12m line I kept it topped up with 4s and a few micros which produced a few more carp.

The far line proved more difficult, the carp where definitely there, but hooking them in the mouth instead of the arse proved troublesome!

Moving into the last hour, I thought I was behind Roly, but couldn't see Steve, so 2nd or 3rd in section was likely. A couple more carp from the 12m line, then 2 carp on meat finished my match.

I had fed the margins, but because I was catching only gave them an unsuccessful 5mins.

The weigh-in started at peg 1 and I was really glad I had avoided drawing up here with Steve's 18lb proving to be best. I thought I had 45-50lb, so when Roly weighed 46lb I was hopeful of winning the section. Must admit I let out a little celebratory "yes" when the scales confirmed I won the section and currently lie 2nd in the league, 1/2pt behind todays match winner Ashley Tomkins.

1st 115- 5 - Ashley Tomkins - p28
2nd 74- 4 - Alan Oram - p38
3rd 61- 9 - Tim Clarke - p25 

4th 54- 2 - Dan White - p13
5th 51-12 - Mike Nichols - p23
6th 51-10 - Ken Rayner - p11

No comments: