Thursday 6 November 2014

02/11/14 - Todber Manor - Park Lake

Weight - 49lb
Catch - 14 Carp, 6 Skimmers, 3 F1s, 4 Roach
Weather - Cloudy, sunny periods. Windy
Match - Wests Tackle Open - 11th out of 22

A 2nd week at Todber, this time a Wests Tackle Open. Have to say I wasn’t overly happy with p11, which came 5th in section in last week’s league match.

On arrival the peg was a full 16m wide and I hoped the light wind blowing up the lake wouldn’t get any stronger. No such luck!

I decided not to take any meat this time, preferring to focus on pellet and maggot.

To be honest I didn’t have a great match, I thought I would be up against it for my section (p1-13) let alone framing, but there was a few fish showing on the far side, which was where I started toss potting pellet, fishing a banded 6mm pellet.

After 30mins I was scratching my head, because I only had 1 carp, but plenty of liners, although to be fair not a lot was being caught around the lake.

I kept pinging 6s across all match and there was certainly fish moving around, but found getting a proper bite difficult, until the last 2 hours when the fish seemed more settled, although they were half the small of those being caught from p13.

My top 7 line was fed carefully with 4s, with maggot on the hook. First drop in produced a carp, great I thought. However that was the only carp I caught from here, although I did catch nearly 10lb of skimmers and F1s.

This just leaves my margins, which were fed with 4s and corn. I hooked carp on the first 3 drop ins, but lost all 3. 1 was at least foul hooked, but other than a small carp and a big skimmer that was the only fish from the margins.

On reflection, I made a few mistakes during the match, although wind limited my opportunity to maximise the far bank. Hopefully a few more lessons learnt for next week’s league match.

1st - 138- 4 - Ash Tomkins - p3
2nd - 115-10 - Nick White - p1
3rd - 91- 4 - Steve Ince - p35
4th - 90-12 - Martin Rogers - p26
5th - 78- 4 - Mark Poppleton  - p23
6th - 69-10 - Kev Hanson - p38

No comments: