Monday 6 January 2014

05/01/14 - Lands End - Speci

Weight - 75lb 4oz (11lb 2oz - silvers)
Catch - 8 Carp, 4 Perch, 3 Skimmers
Weather - Cold start, became wet & windy
Match - Winter League - 3rd out of 36 (1st out of 6 - section)

The 3rd round of the Winter League and it was my time for Speci Lake. Like everyone else the pegs to draw were 31 to 34. Tony Rixon offered to draw for me, which I’m glad I declined as he drew p40. With only 2 pegs left (32 & 39) I left Tony Thick to draw 39, leaving me with p32 and a real opportunity to put me back in contention for the overall league as well as consolidating my position in the silvers league.

The weather this morning was cold, but with very little wind, although it was forecast to become wet & windy by mid-day. The only good news would be the wind would be blowing directly from behind, so at least I could continue to fish the pole.

Speci lake has a reputation for big perch, which the regulars catch using prawns. As a backup plan I decided to bring some prawns in case I needed a perch or two to get me out of jail, but with a decent draw I didn’t expect they would be used. So 3 rigs for today:-
- HB Chump 0.3g > .12 > 18 silverfish pellet (soft pellet/maggot)
- Ackoo Carbon Carrat 0.3g > .12 > 16 B911 (double caster)
- Ackoo Carrat 0.3g > .14 > 14 B911 (prawn)

On the all in micros & a few 4s were deposited at 14m in open water and then caster & a few bits of prawn at 14m down the right hand margin. Starting in the open water on pellet, Tom Thick on p33 had already hooked 3 carp (landing 1) by the time I got my first bite, which I missed. A look down the right hand margin on double caster resulted in 1 lost foul hooked carp.

Before I knew it an hour had already gone and I was still fishless, whilst Tom was mostly playing fish, but landing few. I was starting to get indications down the margin and lost another foul hooker. Time for the prawn rig. Not knowing what to expect the float dipped almost immediately and a big perch was soon landed, which was a relief.

The rest of the match was a case of rotating between the 2 swims, keeping with the same feed pattern, although I included some dead maggot with the pellet in the open water swim. Everytime I fed one swim I would fish the other. The open water swim, produced 3 carp up to 10lb, plus 3 skimmers, all on double dead maggot. The right hand swim proved more problematic, losing 6 foul hookers, which wasn’t as bad as Tom who reckons he lost 20 carp. The caster rig only produced one carp, but the prawn rig proved to be the most successful, with 5 carp up to 12lb, plus 4 big perch. Also I had fewer foul hookers on this rig.

I did set up a 7m swim, but never had a bite, so stuck with the long swims, which meant a simple match in the end. After drawing p25 2 weeks ago I was simply relieved to catch a few and get my league back on track, but one poor draw will put paid to that.

1st 143- 1 - Craig Edmunds - p11
2nd 95- 0 - Tom Thick - p33
3rd 75- 4 - Ken Rayner - p32
4th 60- 7 - Mark Poppleton - p20
5th 54- 7 - Adrian Jefferies - p58
6th 45- 0 - Gary O'shea - p5

Silvers
1st 14- 4 - Gary O'Shea - p5...

2nd 11- 2 - Ken Rayner - p32
3rd 10-10 - Chris Fox - p24

No comments: