Monday 27 January 2014

25/01/14 - Lands End - Match Lake

Weight - 19lb 15oz (12lb 0oz - silvers)
Catch - 16 Perch, 2 Roach, 1 Skimmer, 1 Carp
Weather - Mostly dry, but windy later
Match - Open - 4 out of 7 (3rd - silvers)

After 2 days & nights at a Conference in the Celtic Manor I was looking forward to some fishing. One the guest speakers was Sir Ranulph Fiennes and I will never again complain about being wet & cold. Completely in awe of someone with that much dedication and drive, in what would have been very challenging as well as life threatening situations.

There was only 7 of us for today’s match, so no real bad draws, but plenty of space for the fish to hide away. After the first draw I was on p22, but a re-draw was quickly organized after there was only 6 tickets in the bucket! When sorting out the money, Mike found the 7th ticket. Someone had obviously picked up 2 and threw one back into the wrong bucket. The re-draw found me on p11, which I was happy with since there has been a few carp showing in the area, plus I was likely to sheltered from the forecast wind later in the day.

Dave Wescott was opposite on p13 and Andy Hembrow on p15. As I was setting up there was no sign of fish moving around, except for the other side of the island so wasn’t sure how it would fish. Plus with yesterdays heavy rain the lake was very full.

4 rigs were set up, to fish various parts of the peg. On the all in some caster was deposited by the reed bed next to the island and by the platform of p10. Micros were cupped in at 13m in open water.

It was 30mins before I had my first fish a tiny perch from the reed bed, but it wasn’t long before I hooked 7lb ghostie which bust me as it dived under the platform. I really hoped that wouldn’t prove costly. Next drop in I landed an 8lber, before losing the next carp which was foul hooked. Unfortunately that was it for the rest of the match as far as the carp were concerned.

Tried all over the peg, but couldn’t get a bite. The only place that was proving productive was under the p10 platform. I had been feeding mostly caster with some dead maggot and was catching perch mostly on prawns, plus a big skimmer on double caster.

By the end of the match Andy was the obvious winner, but that lost ghostie cost me 2nd overall, although I managed to pick up the silvers money by double de-fault!

Overall it didn't fish well, but with so much space for the fish to find away it was hardly a surprise.

1st 54- 1 - Andy Hembrow - p15
2nd 23-10 - Rod Wootton - p22
3rd 22- 2 - Mike Duckett - p19
4th 19-15 - Ken Rayner - p11

Silvers
1st 13- 8 - Andy Hembrow - p15
2nd 12-12 - Rod Wootton - p22
3rd 12- 0 - Ken Rayner - p11

No comments: