Monday 30 December 2013

29/12/13 - Todber - Park Lake

Weight - 36lb 7oz
Catch - 15 Carp, 7 Roach, 2 Skimmers, 1 Perch
Weather - Hard overnight frost. Bright & sunny day
Match - Open - 13th out of 24

The weather forecast was for a bright day with light winds, however the hard frost was a bit of a surprise. I travelled down with Tim Ford which made a pleasant change from driving down sole and the roads were a little slippery in parts with the temperature gauge reading -5c in some more sheltered parts. The question was would the lake be frozen. Unfortunately it was, but fortunately it was only thin.

24 were booked in and I was more than happy to draw p5, which was also ice free – bonus. Everyone was a little unsure how it would fish particularly since yesterday’s club match was won with only 10lb (5 carp).

Plumbing up my peg it was deeper to my right close in, swallowing up towards the far bank. I plumbed up by a clump of sedges on the far bank, but didn’t really fancy the fish to feed in the shallow water. Instead I started in the deeper water, where I fed micros. I expected a slow start, but after 15mins I had to switch from 4mm expander to maggot to get my first fish a small roach. A further 15mins later I managed by first carp, but I was already falling behind everyone around me, except for Martin Lenaghan on p7.

It was a real surprise I couldn’t catch down the track, whilst those around me were catching across in the shallower water despite the heavy frost. So I had no choice but to switch across and I was soon catching on double maggot, feeding micros and maggot. Action was unfortunately short lived.

For most of the match it was a case of rotating swims, setting up new swims to try and find some feeding fish, but the only place I could catch any number was tight across by the clump of sedges.

So a disappointing day. Martin McMahon and Steve Nadin on pegs 2 & 3, both caught more & bigger fish than me, Martin Lenaghan only had 1oz less than me, before the weights started to improve again. Dave Romain on p38 got to flyer catching well by the island, but caught very little fishing down the right hand margin, which wasn’t far from my far line swim. Speaking to the anglers who caught it seems most caught on maggot over micros and looking at the results sheet it just seems the carp were shoaled up in certain areas, but that’s winter fishing!

Happy new year to everyone and thank you for reading my blog.

1st 98-7 – Phil Harding – p37
2nd 94- 2 – Steve Nadin – p3
3rd 81- 5 – Tony Rixon – p35
4th 80-10 – Nick Merry – p11
5th 74-15 – Mike Nicholls – p10
6th 69-13 – Fred Roberts – p34
 

No comments: