Monday 2 December 2013

01/12/13 - Fishponds

Weight - 123lb 6oz
Catch - 18 Carp
Weather - Cloudy with a slight northerly breeze
Match - Club - 2nd out of 14

14 turned up for today’s match which was a bit of a surprise, particularly since a couple of members couldn’t fish because they were fishing the Sedges Winter League. Today was also the final of the knockout and I was up against Ian Pople. With 14 on the lake it would mean a couple of tights spots and I really wanted an open water swim, but my drawing arm let me down again as I drew p17, which was in the top corner of the lake. Opposite was Roger Putterill and Ian was to my right on p19, so at least we could keep an eye on each other.

I had hoped to fish the waggler, but due to the lack of room, decided it was a 2 swim pole job. 13m slightly to my right and 8m to my left next to the willow bush. 2 rigs were set up, an Ackoo powertrap 0.3g, by the bush fishing hair rigged double corn (I needed a big hook and bait on strong kit to pull the fish out of what has been a tackle graveyard). The other rig was a HB Dweezil 0.3g > .16 > 16 B911 fished at 13m in 7ft of water. I also had a straight lead rod already set-up, but only had a couple of casts on that.

Feed was 4s, corn and some micros to kick start each swim. After 30mins I landed my first carp at 13m on 6mm expander, which was followed up by a 10lber on 4mm expander. After an hour I had those 2 carp, but lost another 2. Ian in the meantime had 3.

During the 2nd hour I landed a further 4 at 13m on 4mm expander, however Ian was up to 7. Fortunately Ian struggled from this point, as I put a further 4 carp into the net during the 3rd hour. The bush swim started to produce a few fish and the remaining 2 hours, it was a case of rotating left and right with most fish caught on corn.

By the all out, I thought I may have won, however Tim Allen did well from peg 4 with 20 carp meaning I finished 2nd and won the knockout.

1st 138-10 – Tim Allen – p4
2nd 123- 6 – Ken Rayner – p17
3rd 77- 2 – Nick Pople – p12
4th 73- 0 – Nick Jordell – p7
5th 68-11 – Andy Bradley – p10
6th 63- 5 – Craig Davidge – p6

No comments: